Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

OM1 film wind issue Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » OM1 film wind issue « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ken
Tinkerer
Username: Ken

Post Number: 6

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, January 21, 2010 - 08:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Not sure if this is related to the recent problem about the wind on lever on an OM1.

I am having a problem winding on film at the start of a film when I load it in the camera. The problem only seems to be at the start of the film.

Recently I had a film on which the first two pictures were multiple exposures because the film hadn't wound on. The rest of the film was perfect.

I now pull the film out of the cassette a bit and then rewind it in the camera so that it isn't tight in the cassette. I can also ensure it is being wound on by watching the rewind lever when I wind the film on.

The shutter always gets reset when I wind on even if the film isn't advanced.

This is an OM1 that I have had from new and which I have had no problems with until this one.

Any ideas? Is it likely to be similar to the previously described problem? Or something else?

Many thanks

Ken

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 1045

Posted on Thursday, January 21, 2010 - 08:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This sounds like wear in the advance/rewind control - the little twist knob on the front. I'm trying to picture just what this looks like, but it's escaping me - but if I recall correctly, when this gets worn, the internals drift toward the "rewind" position and then the film advance sprocket begins to slip.

Ken
Tinkerer
Username: Ken

Post Number: 7

Posted on Friday, January 22, 2010 - 06:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rick

Many thanks for your reply. It makes sense.

I have had the OM1 from new and taken good care of it. However, I have used it a lot and it is inevitable that something would wear out.

I will watch its performance carefully. Maybe it is time to stop using it if I can't rely on the film being advanced properly.

Regards

Ken

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration