Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Yashica GSN meter and battery light n... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Yashica GSN meter and battery light not working « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Matt
Tinkerer
Username: Matt

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, January 22, 2010 - 12:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just received a Yashica GSN that looks to be in great condition... at least cosmetically. However, when I load a new battery in (the compartment and connections are clean and corrosion free), neither the battery test button or the meter work. Suggestions?

Thanks.

Monopix
Tinkerer
Username: Monopix

Post Number: 92

Posted on Friday, January 22, 2010 - 03:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think more information is required to make a sensible suggestion. What sort of battery are you using? Why do you think the meter isn't working? What actually happens when you fire the shutter?

Matt
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Friday, January 22, 2010 - 05:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm using one of those battery adapters and with a 6V PX28A battery. There's no corrosion in the battery case or on the contacts.
But with the battery in, the battery test lamp won't light when the button is pushed and neither of the lamps on the meter are functional when I press the shutter release half-way down even in the worst lighting. So my (uneducated) guess is that there's a problem with the connection from the battery,

Waynemel
Tinkerer
Username: Waynemel

Post Number: 64

Posted on Friday, January 22, 2010 - 05:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Remove the bottom of the camera and check the wires from the battery terminals. It is surprising how clean the battery compartment can be, and yet there is corrosion inside of the camera.

Monopix
Tinkerer
Username: Monopix

Post Number: 93

Posted on Saturday, January 23, 2010 - 01:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does sound like a battery connection problem but the wire from the top of the battery compartment could also be the problem. But to get to the top one requires serious dismantling. Also, check the label inside the battery cover has been removed. Those adapters make contact with the cover differently to the original batteries and the label may stop it working.

Also, the PX28A isn't the best battery and it might not be capable of lighting the battery check lamp anyway, though everything else should work. See http://www.monopix.co.uk/gtbattery.shtml for some more info.

Charlie
Tinkerer
Username: Charlie

Post Number: 227

Posted on Saturday, January 23, 2010 - 07:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My GSN had a similar problem. When I removed the top cover I found the wire to the test switch had completely corroded through. I cut that wire at both ends and snaked a new wire down to the battery compartment. Your problem may be as simple as that. There was additional corrosion on the test lamp but I never bothered to correct that because I was wary of my soldering skills but otherwise the camera worked fine.

Scott
Tinkerer
Username: Scott

Post Number: 68

Posted on Saturday, January 23, 2010 - 11:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

One more thing-- as you may already know, those lights only work when the shutter is fully cocked. After the shutter is released, they won't light. (At least that's how mine is)

Matt
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Monday, January 25, 2010 - 01:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for all of the advice. I ended up biting the bullet and taking it into a repair shop... didn't have the tools or experience to do any of the repairs myself... though I was tempted to try.

Excited to get this sucker back. It's my first rangefinder camera and I'm eager to play with it.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration