Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Exakta slow speeds Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Exakta slow speeds « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Markkal
Tinkerer
Username: Markkal

Post Number: 4

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, January 23, 2010 - 12:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi

Maybe somebody can help with the following: I found at the flea market a very nive Exakta Varex VX in close to new condition, with perfect shutter curtains which is quite rare...

Speeds are not working properly, and I believe I know where the trouble comes from. Slow speed knob on the right handside does not move. I (was able to sort out similar problem in the past) removed knob and right top plate to expose mechanism. Slow speed mechanism is blocked in the fully wound position. And it would not release. Therefore the speed disk is not able to rotate counterclockwise and unlatch the lever which connects it to the fast speed assy. By moving the lever slightly to the right with a screwdriver it frees the whole system and fast speeds work properly.
Anyone able to tell me how to unblock and release that slow speed escapement would save me a lot of trouble....Can take pics of the whole asembly and post them , no problem

Thanks Marco

Tom_cheshire
Tinkerer
Username: Tom_cheshire

Post Number: 247

Posted on Saturday, January 23, 2010 - 04:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The most I can do is show you the link to the online user manual:

http://www.butkus.org/chinon/exakta/exakta_vx/exakta_vx.htm

Markkal
Tinkerer
Username: Markkal

Post Number: 5

Posted on Sunday, January 24, 2010 - 01:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Tom, the escapement is jammed in the cocked position, so there is a technical issue !! Regards Marco

Prasanna
Tinkerer
Username: Prasanna

Post Number: 42

Posted on Sunday, January 31, 2010 - 02:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

have you tried cleaning the slow speed mechanism with Naptha or Gas [Petrol]? That may free up the jamming. Sometimes the jamming is due to dried up old grease. I have had one old Exakta VXIIa come that way. I cleaned it with solvents and blew hot air with a blower to dry the same. The thing works very well now. Best,sp

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration