Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Cracking open a Practika Super TL Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Cracking open a Practika Super TL « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Harry_bee
Tinkerer
Username: Harry_bee

Post Number: 2

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, January 23, 2010 - 02:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So, this will be my first SLR disassembly ... I've got a Thomas Tomosy book on repairing cameras which talks about various 'tl' Practikas but I cannot see how to get the top of the shutter speed dial off - I know the cover on the winder lifts, the rewind knob unscrews but?? Other threads have said there's a screw under the hotshoe, but There Is No Hotshoe!!

The shutter is jammed as is the rewind button. I understand there are four screws under the leatherette on the bottom too, but I need to get the lid off as the camera has been dropped and someone tried sticking it together with araldite!

Any suggestions?

Tom_cheshire
Tinkerer
Username: Tom_cheshire

Post Number: 248

Posted on Saturday, January 23, 2010 - 04:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hmm. I'm still trying to figure out what araldite is. My best guess so far is cyanoacrylate (instant glue). :-)

Upnorthw
Tinkerer
Username: Upnorthw

Post Number: 14

Posted on Saturday, January 23, 2010 - 05:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The dial disc is glued on. Under that is a nut to remove.

David_nebenzahl
Tinkerer
Username: David_nebenzahl

Post Number: 84

Posted on Saturday, January 23, 2010 - 06:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

@Tom C: according to Wikipedia (so take it with the necessary number of grains of salt), Araldite is epoxy. That's the problem with using trade names that are only known in particular areas.

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 741

Posted on Saturday, January 23, 2010 - 07:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Araldite adhesives - originally made by Ciba/Aero Research Ltd - have been around since the the mid 1940s in one form or another.
Now owned by the Huntsman Corp of the US, the product is found worldwide - even all over the US - if the many web sites on Google are to be believed!!!

Judging by adverts world wide the word Araldite is synonymous with epoxy - competitors in china and India using the word 'Araldite' in adverts for for their formulations.

David_nebenzahl
Tinkerer
Username: David_nebenzahl

Post Number: 87

Posted on Saturday, January 23, 2010 - 07:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, I never heard of the stuff before this.

Harry_bee
Tinkerer
Username: Harry_bee

Post Number: 3

Posted on Monday, January 25, 2010 - 01:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'll stick to real words in future guys. The stuff dries very hard so the camera is a bit of a mess. Thanks for the advice! So I'll assume I've got to dig around the edge of the dial with a pin. I got this machine to practice on so it's going to be an adventure..

Sillyconguru
Tinkerer
Username: Sillyconguru

Post Number: 29

Posted on Monday, January 25, 2010 - 02:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"So I'll assume I've got to dig around the edge of the dial with a pin."

Insert the tip of a small flat-bladed screwdriver under the plate by the ASA window, gentle levering against the edge of the dial will make the plate pop off.

Prasanna
Tinkerer
Username: Prasanna

Post Number: 41

Posted on Sunday, January 31, 2010 - 02:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If it is L-series then there will be a window for ASA speeds. If it is a Super TL of Nova Series then there won't a window. You may use the method suggested by Tomosy [using a sharp needle to pry it up] or that by Steve Shepherd. From the "absence of the hot-shoe" I should guess that it is a Super TL of the Nova series. Work it carefully it should come off.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration