Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Flash/Shutter Problems with a Minolta... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Flash/Shutter Problems with a Minolta XG1 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Tsenru
Tinkerer
Username: Tsenru

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, January 24, 2010 - 10:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I recently began shooting with a Minolta XG1 camera, and purchased a Minolta Auto 220X flash to accompany it. The flash works fine, but when using it only works in bulb mode. The meter correctly displays that it will take a 1/60th second exposure, but when the shutter button is depressed, the shutter opens but does not close and the flash does not fire. If I manually fire the flash using the "test" button, the shutter will close again, but otherwise it stays open indefinitely.

Consulting the manual for both camera and flash, I could find nothing relevant to the problem. One interesting thing; however, is that the manual says the flash shouldn't function in bulb mode, whereas that's the only mode that I can get to function correctly.

Any ideas?

Walter
Tinkerer
Username: Walter

Post Number: 8

Posted on Monday, January 25, 2010 - 09:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, I think you use a non TTL flash on a camera which is in TTL mode. Maybe you can use this flash with cable connection as a simple "Auto" flash with your camera.
Walter

Mikeb
Tinkerer
Username: Mikeb

Post Number: 2

Posted on Friday, February 12, 2010 - 03:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think there are a couple of possibilities here.
The 220X was made for the X series cameras, so would it work with your XG? Maybe or maybe not. There might be a particular setting you have to use, or maybe it just isn't compatible.
Another possibility is that there is a problem with either the camera or the flash. How long have you had them? If they have been recently purchased used you might have a lemon.
I suggest you buy a flash that was designed for your camera. You can get a 200X on ebay for under 10 bucks all day long. The 320X is a really nice flash, although it's more $$$.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration