Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Contaflex 1 filter thread Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Contaflex 1 filter thread « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Davcub
Tinkerer
Username: Davcub

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, January 27, 2010 - 03:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have an early Contaflex 1 with the old range of speeds – 10, 25, 50 etc.
The filter mount on this camera is external whereas in the later edition it became internal. I want to mount a monocular (telephoto) lens which requires an internal thread.
I have tried the local camera shops that deal in vintage as well as modern stuff but to no avail. Can anyone please suggest where I might find an external to internal adapter?
The diameter is approx. 27mm.

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 744

Posted on Wednesday, January 27, 2010 - 06:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just finished watching the latest episode of your favourite TV show - a real corker!

The only external mounts I have come across are push on. I have done similar with 16mm Bolex kit as follows - Camera and monocular/telescope are both mounted individually on a substantial alloy bar, which is in turn supported by tripod or pistol grip as required. The threaded monocular adapter and a suitably sized push on filter mount are then epoxied together and fitted between the two. I have also used a cone made from black craft paper to 'join' the optics up - once the camera and monocular are rigidly mounted on the bar you can use anything to keep the light out, even a black viewing cloth from a plate camera. I have both a home made bar and a very nice Novoflex twin rail version from the 1970s, both a very useful.

Davcub
Tinkerer
Username: Davcub

Post Number: 2

Posted on Thursday, January 28, 2010 - 12:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello Glen,
Actually Morse was a greater favorite, and being a Brit yourself you might agree.
Many thanks for your suggestions, however I'm going to persue the adapter route more thoroughly before more inovative but less portable approaches.
I would also be intrested in knowing whether you have taken the lid of one of these cameras to get at the prism and fresnel screen? Or removed the lens assembly for cleaning? Thanks again
David

Glenn
Tinkerer

Post Number: 745

Posted on Thursday, January 28, 2010 - 05:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes I fully agree with the Morse comments - got the full boxed set of DVDs for Christmas. Just the thing to combat the recent snowy climate here, we grind to a halt when the depth exceeds six inches or so!!

Sorry I cannot help on the camera front, my father would never let me loose on his with a screwdriver and sadly they were never passed onto me.

Rbrian
Tinkerer
Username: Rbrian

Post Number: 8

Posted on Monday, February 01, 2010 - 04:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The very first Contaflex I and II had male threads on the lens (thread on the outside) and female threads (thread on the inside)on the filters. Just the opposite of today. Sometime in the production of the I & II, the threads were switched.

Can't help you with the adapter. I'm guessing it never existed.

Glenn
Tinkerer

Post Number: 747

Posted on Tuesday, February 02, 2010 - 04:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

David,

Following on from Brian's very useful snippet of information, there could be a way of 'cobbling' up a secure adapter - I certainly would give it a go if I was without turning facilities as the main problem in producing DIY adapters is the threads.

Many early threaded filters were made from plated brass and the actual glass was retained by a male threaded ring. I have some very early Photax ones in the 30m range - no 27mm I am afraid, but the interesting thing is that the threads in the female glass retaining section are exactly the same as the male threads on the holder proper.

You may be able to find an old 27.??mm screw holder that will fit after you remove the threaded filter retaining ring. Now I know on first glance this appears to get you nowhere, just a section of extended male threads. However, if you use an available adapter I am sure that a sound and secure marriage of the two could be arranged. The only eyepiece adapters I have are in fact cheap blackened steel turnings, so I could easily silver solder my 30mm holder into one of them - if I was trying to make a 30mm version that is. You just have to use the 'little grey cells' to quote another TV character - how sad!!

Alternatively I can supply you with the contact details of a very good English firm that will make you a beautiful 'one off' at a suitably one off price. Still your adapter will be a work of art and a talking point!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration