Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Zenit E focus problem Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Zenit E focus problem « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Waynemel
Tinkerer
Username: Waynemel

Post Number: 65

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, January 27, 2010 - 04:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a Zenit E that will not focus to infinity. I know that the lens is not the problem, since all lenses on this camera do not focus properly. It seems to be focussing "long" ie. when in focus, the object is closer than indicated on the focus scale.
What could be causing this? Is it a mirror issue or an issue with the prism?
I have not put film through the camera, so I don't know if the focus on the film plane is wrong or if it just an issue with the viewfinder.

David_nebenzahl
Tinkerer
Username: David_nebenzahl

Post Number: 106

Posted on Wednesday, January 27, 2010 - 05:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

But you don't need film to check the actual (i.e., taking) focus; just put a piece of ground glass in the film opening in the back, focus on something in the viewfinder, then open the shutter and check the focus on the ground glass. Simple.

Canuck_curt
Tinkerer
Username: Canuck_curt

Post Number: 34

Posted on Wednesday, January 27, 2010 - 06:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Not sure since I don't have an E in front of me at the moment but a common focus issue with Zenits is the screw located beneath the mirror which acts as a mirror rest. A simple half turn (after gently lifting the mirror)or so usually makes things right in the focus department.

Waynemel
Tinkerer

Post Number: 66

Posted on Wednesday, January 27, 2010 - 07:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I tried the ground glass idea suggested by David, but instead of glass, I used "invisible" tape.
It worked well enough to see that the focus on the film plane looks correct.
Now, the screw to adjust the mirror... I see the screw that the mirror rests on. I will try to adjust it and see.

Waynemel
Tinkerer

Post Number: 67

Posted on Wednesday, January 27, 2010 - 07:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks guys!
Adjusting the mirror worked like a charm.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration