Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Nikon F2/F3 Light seals on back Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Nikon F2/F3 Light seals on back « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ccondon
Tinkerer
Username: Ccondon

Post Number: 3

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, January 31, 2010 - 02:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,

I have a Nikon F2 and F3 that have very worn light seals along the two tracks above and below the path of the film, where the hinged back sits. This results in the back having a lot of play, and making an annoying clicking sound when i press it with my thumb. No light leaks show up on film, though I would like to replace them anyways in hope that it would (hopefully) get rid of the clicking. It's not a big deal, but since it's not an expensive fix, I may as well.

The rest of the light seals seem to be in perfect condition, the pad above the mirror looks good as new, so I'd like to avoid paying ~$10-15 for each camera to get a whole set of light seals. Is there a place I can just buy some strips of that foamy material of the correct width for the tracks described earlier, or am I better off just getting whole kits and having the extra stuff for later?

M_currie
Tinkerer
Username: M_currie

Post Number: 210

Posted on Sunday, January 31, 2010 - 06:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There's a fellow named John (or is it Jon?) Goodman, who goes under the business name "interslice" on ebay. He sells a kit with enough foam to do several cameras, and I think he includes instructions too. The price is pretty low. I've never bought from him but he's well regarded by old camera collectors.

Rlc
Tinkerer
Username: Rlc

Post Number: 96

Posted on Sunday, January 31, 2010 - 07:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Calvin; I have bought many seals from Jon Goodman. He is highly recommended and a frequent contributor to this forum.
His email address: [email protected]

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration