Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

OM Zuiko 135mm f3.5 Help Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » OM Zuiko 135mm f3.5 Help « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Elwrongo
Tinkerer
Username: Elwrongo

Post Number: 55

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, February 02, 2010 - 04:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've got one of these with a problem. There are two prongs at the body end, one for the aperture and the other for I don't know what. Anyway, the second one is supposed to spring back when you push it. Mine doesn't, it just slides around rather stiffly. As a result when attached to a camera you can't fire the shutter. Whats going on there? Is it something you can get at and fix? Is it a broken spring perhaps? I'd like to get some clues before diving in. I've done quite a few camera repairs but never a lens. Anyone? Thanks

Elwrongo
Tinkerer

Post Number: 57

Posted on Sunday, February 07, 2010 - 05:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No one?

Prest
Tinkerer
Username: Prest

Post Number: 1

Posted on Sunday, February 07, 2010 - 02:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Both are links to the aperture. The fixed one links aperture with meter, and the second one that should spring back is the auto diaphragm system.
If you look at one of the sides of the mirror box, there is a lever that goes up when the shutter opens. This lever pushes the auto diaphragm "prong" and closes the diaphragm. The lens prong returns after opening the shutter, thus the diaphragm goes wide open.

I don't know how it can interfere so much with the shutter. If the prong doesn't return to initial position, it means that the aperture will take some time to open again.

It might be an oily diaphragm, that opens slowly. Or well, a small spring. No idea. Does the diaphragm open well?

If you press the DoF preview button while opening the shutter, it will act as a "non auto diaphragm" system. You should be able to operate the shutter if you do this.

Elwrongo
Tinkerer

Post Number: 58

Posted on Tuesday, February 09, 2010 - 07:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thankyou Prest, most appreciated. I will go and check out your suggestions ASAP.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration