Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Srt101 shutter jammed self timer also Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Srt101 shutter jammed self timer also « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Johnhh39
Tinkerer
Username: Johnhh39

Post Number: 3

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, February 02, 2010 - 02:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

just bought in this condition (only £3!) but shutter button is stuck down and self timer is only 2/3 of the way back. Self timer can be set to full but only goes back when button which would be covered by st lever normally is pressed, and then only 2/3 then stops. Camera looks in good condition otherwise, have looked under bottom cover and have downloaded a repair manual to look under top cover. No rush as I have one that works but this was too good to pass on even if only for spares. Anybody got ideas??
Ooops just noticed schlooter`s post seems we have a similiar problem

Schlooter
Tinkerer
Username: Schlooter

Post Number: 2

Posted on Tuesday, February 02, 2010 - 10:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yeah, your problem seems to be the same as mine. By the way, looking under the top cover didn't shed any light on the problem, but I'm no expert. Be careful taking things apart, I caused a few small scratches even with the "right" tools.

Mutato
Tinkerer
Username: Mutato

Post Number: 2

Posted on Wednesday, February 03, 2010 - 07:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Both you and the other person are right in pointing to the timer stuck halfway as jamming everything. Since it's all mechanical, you will have to fix that timer before anything works. I have an SRT 201 that has an intermittent problem. My son pushed the timer back and it didn't finish, thus jamming it! I thought I was done for. But I just kept on pushing the timer back to start it again. The timer would wind down to about 1/2 way. I did that over and over. On the tenth time it timed ALL THE WAY and the camera clicked! Dodged a bullet.

Schlooter
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Thursday, February 04, 2010 - 08:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've cycled the timer quite a few times with no effect, and it stops in exactly the same spot every time. I read up on removing the timer gearing, and it doesn't sound fun.

I notice in the original user manual that it says the timer will stop at 45° when the film has not been advanced. That may be why the timer stops, but then why can't I advance the film?

Johnhh39
Tinkerer
Username: Johnhh39

Post Number: 4

Posted on Thursday, February 04, 2010 - 02:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Also tried cycling timer then got frustrated and pushed it back BUT GO SLOW, timer in proper place winder moves shutter button moves, BUT mirror stuck up till film wound on and shutter not moving when fired also second curtain not working so back to manual for inspiration

Bossman
Tinkerer
Username: Bossman

Post Number: 115

Posted on Thursday, February 04, 2010 - 09:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Not sure if I understand all of the above but one can jam an SRT by messing with the self-timer and shutter and then nothing seems to work, but you can unjam thusly: cock the self lever and while holding there, cock the shutter and all should be ok. If not, of course you have other issues. If you are hoplessly lost, send it to me and I will unjam it for you and send it back for you to do whatever you wanted to do in the first place and charge only a minimum charge for that and shipping back to you! (if I don't have to do a shutter or transport repair......about 20.00 + shipping) Deal? Art @ www.flcamerarepair.com

Schlooter
Tinkerer

Post Number: 4

Posted on Friday, February 05, 2010 - 10:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, I've gotten the timer to move freely, but the film advance is still stuck, and the shutter button has more play to it, but it still won't fire the shutter. Any ideas?

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration