Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Does anybody know how to get to a shu... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Does anybody know how to get to a shutter of WWII Robot II to clean it? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Hrndnvalery
Tinkerer
Username: Hrndnvalery

Post Number: 4

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, February 02, 2010 - 10:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have WWII Robot camera ( with long spring motor winding knob) without a lens. It has jammed shutter. I tried it today and it started to work at 1/500 settting, then it got jammed again in open position. It looks like it needs cleaning and lubrication. Does anybody know how to disassemble Robot II?
I have another Robot II with ordinary knob and also without lens. That one works OK, but does not have a rewind knob. Does anybody know where to get a rewinding knob (if possible) lenses?
Is a service manual available for Robot?

Scott
Tinkerer
Username: Scott

Post Number: 75

Posted on Tuesday, February 02, 2010 - 10:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just a saftey tip:

As I understand it, the Robot has a coiled steel spring, much like on some clocks and watches.

Be careful when taking such a machine apart-- it can be dangerous. No kidding.

Guess how I gained this bit of knowledge?

If the shutter got jammed, and someone kept winding that ratcheting spring tighter and tighter, then that spring might be storing a surprising amount of potential energy. There may be two or three feet of spring steel in there waiting to jump out, and that steel can cut like a knife.

Put on some safety goggles before you take it apart.

I think the trick is to first (BEFORE dissassembly!) find a way to move the pawl off of the ratchet teeth, so that the spring tension can slowly be released.

Sevo
Tinkerer
Username: Sevo

Post Number: 48

Posted on Wednesday, February 03, 2010 - 02:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The shutter assembly is accessible from the rear after removing the film windowhole with quite limited disassembly of the camera. But watch out for the spring indeed - a loaded spring can cut off fingers or severe a vein!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration