Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Hello, I am a new member and am unab... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Hello, I am a new member and am unable to login post a new thread . Please help. My Best, Steve (shuttermonkey) « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Shuttermonkey
Tinkerer
Username: Shuttermonkey

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, February 03, 2010 - 02:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello,

I am a new member to your forum and would like to express my thanks.
I have a small antique camera collection and would appreciate some advice on what I have and methods of 'proper' preservation and repair.
My first camera is an CARL ZEISS IKON FOLDING CAMERA. It appears to be an earlier model, but I would need your expertise to tell me which one. I have attached 6 enlargements of my camera for your review. All advice would be much appreciated.
My Best,
ShutterMonkey

Carl Zeiss Ikon Folding CameraCarl Zeiss Ikon Folding CameraCarl Zeiss Ikon Folding CameraCarl Zeiss Ikon Folding CameraCarl Zeiss Ikon Folding CameraCarl Zeiss Ikon Folding Camera

Mndean
Tinkerer
Username: Mndean

Post Number: 187

Posted on Wednesday, February 03, 2010 - 03:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Looks like an early 1930s 6x9 cm Ikonta (model 520/2 perhaps? I can't see the number embossed), with a Dominar (aka Tessar-type) lens and a Telma dial shutter.

Shuttermonkey
Tinkerer

Post Number: 4

Posted on Wednesday, February 03, 2010 - 04:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks! I opened the back and found it is 6.9cm and takes 120 spool size. And you are also correct about the model number. I didn't see it before. It is embossed on the side of the camera as '520/2'. How should I take care of this camera? I told it takes great pictures. Is this a good camera? I am sort of familiar with the Carl Zeiss name in newer cameras.

Tom_cheshire
Tinkerer
Username: Tom_cheshire

Post Number: 253

Posted on Wednesday, February 03, 2010 - 05:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Set the shutter to "T", slide the aperture dial to f4.5, open the back, click the shutter and look through the open lens to see if the glass is hazy or needs cleaning.

Shuttermonkey
Tinkerer

Post Number: 5

Posted on Wednesday, February 03, 2010 - 05:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I set the aperture dial to f5.5 and opened the back. Clicked the shutter and it opened and closed. How do I keep it open?

Shuttermonkey
Tinkerer

Post Number: 6

Posted on Wednesday, February 03, 2010 - 05:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My bad! I didn't not set SHUTTER TO 'T'. Did so and lens is a little dusty but otherwise clear.

Shuttermonkey
Tinkerer

Post Number: 7

Posted on Wednesday, February 03, 2010 - 05:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here is an image of the embossed number.

I was reading an old 2006 discussion that said this is a 'very common' camera and might have a FRONTAR lens? Worth about $30. Any comment on that?

Shuttermonkey
Tinkerer

Post Number: 8

Posted on Wednesday, February 03, 2010 - 05:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oops. Here is the picture of the embossed number.Carl Zeiss 1A Autographic Camera

Mndean
Tinkerer
Username: Mndean

Post Number: 188

Posted on Wednesday, February 03, 2010 - 06:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The lens and shutter are what determine the value over and above what model camera it is, and its condition. There's a variety of lenses and shutters available for that model camera. You seem to have an excellent lens (the Frontar you mention sounds like a low-end lens, the Dominar is a high-end lens) and a good though not top-of-the-line shutter. No idea what it's worth, though.

Chiccolini
Tinkerer
Username: Chiccolini

Post Number: 77

Posted on Wednesday, February 03, 2010 - 06:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You have an Ikonta C (520/2). Produced 1930 to 1940. They were produced with different lenses in different shutters. The Dominar lens, being f4.5, would be one of the better lenses. Other lenses which were available on this camera model were the f4.5 Tessar, f3.8 Tessar (1938-39 models only), f6.3 Novar, and f9 Frontar.

I believe your Ikonta is an earlier one because the lens is not listed in the collector book but that does not make it rare necessarily. It is a simple basic folding camera worth well under $100. Probably in the $30. to $50. zone depending on who wants one, if anyone.

Sevo
Tinkerer
Username: Sevo

Post Number: 51

Posted on Thursday, February 04, 2010 - 01:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Dominar was the ICA Tessar type, and seems to have originated with Hüttig.

When much of the German camera industry was (forcibly) merged into Zeiss Ikon, Carl Zeiss Jena ordered that all companies merged into its new camera maker subsidiary stop making their own lenses. But it took some time until production ceased, and the brand names were carried on for a few years more. A Ikonta with Dominar will be from 1931.

Shuttermonkey
Tinkerer

Post Number: 10

Posted on Thursday, February 04, 2010 - 07:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for all your valuable information and input! I will examine my lens closer and see if I can determine which lens manufacturer it is. I guess I overpaid for my camera @$60. I saw the Carl Zeiss name and saw its good condition and bought it. But my brother who is a professional photographer says this camera is still popular to use! So I am going to play with it a while and see what shots I can make. It will be like driving an original Model-T. Thanks again for everyone's input!

Shuttermonkey
Tinkerer

Post Number: 11

Posted on Thursday, February 04, 2010 - 07:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just checked and discovered my lens is Dominar Anastigmat 1:4,5 F=10,5cm. I will try to experiment using this camera. Thanks!

David_nebenzahl
Tinkerer
Username: David_nebenzahl

Post Number: 121

Posted on Thursday, February 04, 2010 - 07:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think you did overpay for your camera, which is not at all rare or even desirable. But now that you have it, you can probably take some very good pictures with it.

Keep in mind that there's nothing necessarily magic about a lens with the name Carl Zeiss on it. Lots of good glass was made by other manufacturers around that time.

I'm also 99% confident that your camera takes 120 film. It seems that 620 was primarily an Eastman Kodak thing. While other European manufacturers made 620 cameras, I think the vast majority took 120, which was (and still is) a much more universal film format.

Shuttermonkey
Tinkerer

Post Number: 12

Posted on Saturday, February 06, 2010 - 07:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks David,
Oh well. The name blinded me and the condition of such a cool looking camera sold me. I have a couple of other earlier cameras but not so functional. I will now, as you mentioned, experiment with it. I always like working with black and white images. It is always a real challenge. Thanks once more(everyone) for all your assistance in my new hobby!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration