Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Carl Zeiss Ikon Folding Camera: Prese... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Carl Zeiss Ikon Folding Camera: Preservation and Identification Assiatance Please... « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Shuttermonkey
Tinkerer
Username: Shuttermonkey

Post Number: 2

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, February 03, 2010 - 02:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello,

I am a new member to your forum and would like to express my thanks.
I have a small antique camera collection and would appreciate some advice on what I have and methods of 'proper' preservation and repair.
My first camera is an CARL ZEISS IKON FOLDING CAMERA (w/original case). It appears to be an earlier model, but I would need your expertise to tell me which one. I have attached 6 enlargements of my camera for your review. All advice would be much appreciated.
My Best,
ShutterMonkey
Carl Zeiss Ikon Folding CameraCARL ZEISS IKON FOLDING CAMERACARL ZEISS IKON FOLDING CAMERACARL ZEISS IKON FOLDING CAMERA

Shuttermonkey
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Wednesday, February 03, 2010 - 02:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I forgot to mention that camera appears to be working. My question really pertains to model and preservation. Also, upon opening the camera back, I discovered the spool size is 620, aspect ratio is 6.9cm. No light seems to leak into through bellows. Thanks for any assistance.

p.s. sorry for the extra thread with the wrong subject heading.

Sevo
Tinkerer
Username: Sevo

Post Number: 50

Posted on Wednesday, February 03, 2010 - 07:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It seems to be clean and undamaged, so that there is nothing to clean or restore there - anything you do to it will decrease its current value. On the other hand, it is not of a type which is so rare and expensive that special storage is indicated - a clean dry cupboard or a archival grade cardboard box would be all it needs.

Marty
Tinkerer
Username: Marty

Post Number: 56

Posted on Wednesday, February 03, 2010 - 07:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Your camera looks to be in very nice shape... As Sevo pointed out, careful storage is the most important thing. Avoid humidity, high temperatures, etc. If you're concerned about the pinholes in the bellows, often, small holes can be repaired with a vinyl repair material... just dab in into the hole from inside the bellows with a small tool. Unless you intend to use the camera though, they could probably be left alone.

Monopix
Tinkerer
Username: Monopix

Post Number: 99

Posted on Thursday, February 04, 2010 - 10:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There is usually a model number impressed into the black covering somewhere. The Ikontas, I think, all started with 520 followed by another number. That would be the only way of being sure which model it is.

(Goes away and looks in Zeiss book...)

The 520/2 was a 6x9 Ikonta and the book mentions it was available with the Dominar lens, which you have, so I'm guessing that's what it is. Looks like it dates from around 1931.

Are you sure it takes 620 film. I didn't think any Ikontas took 620. Some early ones took 127 but I thought after that they used 120, though they sometimes just say say use 'Zeiss Ikon' film.

Barnum
Tinkerer
Username: Barnum

Post Number: 154

Posted on Thursday, February 04, 2010 - 11:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

One sure way to check bellows is to open the back, and in a darkened room, shine a torch inside. This will reveal any pinholes. If the covering of your cameras needs to be prettied up a bit, black shoe polish can work wonders. Any MINOR rusting on painted areas can be treated with 3in1 oil lightly applied with a bit of kitchen paper towel. From the look of them, that is all your cameras need.

Shuttermonkey
Tinkerer

Post Number: 9

Posted on Thursday, February 04, 2010 - 07:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you all for your advice! The empressed number on the camera is 520/2. I opened the back and the bellows are perfect with no light leakage. My brother who is a professional photographer thinks my spool size is 120, and hence, makes this camera very usable. So you say my camera lens is not made by Carl Zeiss? Too bad. I been hearing a lot about Carl Zeiss lens that they are exceptional. I attached a few more pictures of the opened camera back. I hope I didn't pay too much for this camera ($60). Again, thanks for everyone's help!
Carl Ziess IkontaCarl Ziess IkontaCarl Ziess Ikonta

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration