Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Cleaning sable brush of oils and dust Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Cleaning sable brush of oils and dust « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Aphototaker
Tinkerer
Username: Aphototaker

Post Number: 46

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, February 04, 2010 - 09:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello,

I have a couple of sable brushes I use to gently remove dust from lenses, mirror or prism glass.

I usually clean the brushes in soapy water, rinse them and let them dry.

However, I realize that whenever the brush hair comes in contact with my hands, it will collect sweat, oils and dust. The brush can (and has) then leave oil streaks which are quite easily visible on reflex mirrors.

I was thinking of cleaning the brush hairs in a bath of naphtha to remove all the oils and dust from it.

Does anyone have any experience regarding this? Or any other suggestions no how to keep the brush hairs clean to use them on reflex mirror or on prism glass? What good practices do you follow regarding soft brushes and their cleanliness?

Thanks.

Tom_cheshire
Tinkerer
Username: Tom_cheshire

Post Number: 254

Posted on Thursday, February 04, 2010 - 11:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok, well, we must remember we are dealing with hair and hair is cleaned best with a shampoo for oily hair.

One time I had a few gallons (yes, gallons) of shampoo and started using it to clean paintbrushes instead of buying paint thinner, etc. It worked really well and the logic behind it was shampoo is formulated to remove grease, oil and dirt (was using oil based paint).

Yes, so a good shampoo is how I keep my brushes clean.

David_nebenzahl
Tinkerer
Username: David_nebenzahl

Post Number: 120

Posted on Thursday, February 04, 2010 - 12:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ackshooly, I'd go for both the naphtha (note spelling--not "naptha") and soap. Use the naphtha first, then wash in ordinary soap (not shampoo) to remove all traces of both oil and solvent.

I have the same situation with a small soft brush I reserve for use on lenses. I wouldn't use shampoo as it probably contains other stuff that you don't want left behind on your brush.

Aphototaker
Tinkerer

Post Number: 47

Posted on Thursday, February 04, 2010 - 08:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was also thinking about the material in a shampoo. Well, as long as naphtha does not damage the brush hair in any bad way, I supposed naphtha cleaning followed by liquid soap cleaning could work. Only thing is that soap+water cleaning requires longer to dry out.

David_nebenzahl
Tinkerer
Username: David_nebenzahl

Post Number: 122

Posted on Thursday, February 04, 2010 - 09:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Believe me, naphtha won't harm any brush, even a plastic (nylon, etc.) one, nor will any similar solvent (paint thinner, mineral spirits, etc.). This is the way I clean paint and varnish brushes; soak and rinse in thinner, remove as much thinner as possible, then wash in soap and water. I have some good brushes I've been using for about 20 years cared for this way.

Aphototaker
Tinkerer

Post Number: 48

Posted on Thursday, February 04, 2010 - 09:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wonderful. Thanks for the confirmation, David.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration