Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Yashica GSN repair Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Yashica GSN repair « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Paul_c
Tinkerer
Username: Paul_c

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, February 05, 2010 - 08:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello to You all,

I am new here(after a few weeks reading some info here).Too start my old hobby again I got myself a nice looking Yaschica GSN from wich the Cd cell was removed. After doing some research on the internet and this forum I placed a new cell but this dit not have the result I expected. Let me tell You what functions:
Set automatic:only the red light turns on(dark or bright) shutter 1/500.
Set on B : yellow light turns on shutter works ok.
On Flash : Yellow light turns on,shutter 1/30.

The previous owner dit some work on this camera(new pad)
Is there any logic here and most inportent :can it be fixed? its a nice camera and I would like too use it.
Thanks

Monopix
Tinkerer
Username: Monopix

Post Number: 101

Posted on Sunday, February 07, 2010 - 05:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I can't come up with a single fault condition that would explain all the symptoms. Looks like you may have more than one fault.

The red light being on could be because the cell you've fitted is not compatible. If the resistance is too low then the red light might always come on. It would also explain the constant 1/500th.

The yellow light I can't explain, especially as you say the shutter works OK. Any reason I could think of would stop the shutter from working. Are you sure the shutter is giving the correct speed with Bulb and Flash?

There's a manual at http://www.scribd.com/doc/19302555/Yashica-Electro-35-Service-Manual which includes circuit diagrams. Maybe this will help you fault find.

Paul_c
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Sunday, February 07, 2010 - 07:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the reply.

My problem is that I have no skills in electronics.The only way I know something stopped working is when the smoke is coming off or the component has a very strange coleur with a bad smell.
I looked into some repair manuals but they only mention the Yellow light on with the shutter working on 1/500.
This is strage indeed because on my camera the shutter stays open as long as I press the shutter button(B position). On flash I presume the shutter opens 1/30 because it looks much slower than the 1/500 on automatic.
I used two different cell's with no results.I can't find the spec's of the original anywhere.
The best thing I can do is use the camera with f16/sunny to find out it works anyway and be patient to repair it.Or I buy myself a 100% mechanical rangefinder(any suggestions?)

Dirbel
Tinkerer
Username: Dirbel

Post Number: 30

Posted on Sunday, February 07, 2010 - 10:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That the yellow turns on at the B and the flash setting seems to be normal. My working 35 GT does the same.

Dirk

Paul_c
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Monday, February 08, 2010 - 07:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ok Dirk,

so I have to concentrate on the red light problem here.This will take some time but when I find a solution I will post it here.

Paul

Nickon51
Tinkerer
Username: Nickon51

Post Number: 121

Posted on Friday, February 12, 2010 - 05:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Paul,
After the foam pad is replaced there are some shutter release adjustments that should be done. These synchronise the release button position to the electronic switch positions. These are found on pages 7,8,9,28,57 of the repair manual. Doing these will setup the camera for troubleshooting. Not doing them leaves the electronic switches in an uncertain state relative to the shutter release rods. Many wierd and odd faults on these cameras are fixed by replacing the POD and then readjusting the shutter/switch positions.
Cheers
Greg

Paul_c
Tinkerer

Post Number: 5

Posted on Friday, March 12, 2010 - 03:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Greg,

I will try too make the adjustments You suggested.I can't do anything wrong here.

Paul

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration