Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Welta Weltax - take spool jammed Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Welta Weltax - take spool jammed « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Reiner
Tinkerer
Username: Reiner

Post Number: 98

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, February 06, 2010 - 12:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yesterday I received my new Weltax. It came very well preserved with a fine 1:3,5/75mm Carl Zeiss Tessar. Everything seemed to work fine and I was quite happy with it.

However loading film or an empty spool was difficult. Everything was stiff and hard working. The side for a new film spool was still acceptable. But I entered an empty spool at the take side and now I can not get it out any more. I can not even lift the turn knob. It is ridiculous but I can not use the camera because of this weired problem.

Are there any ideas or advices which could help me?

David_nebenzahl
Tinkerer
Username: David_nebenzahl

Post Number: 124

Posted on Saturday, February 06, 2010 - 01:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sounds as if the takeup spool spring holder is dirty or corrode. Don't know about this particular camera, but the holder should be fairly easy to remove with ordinary tools (screwdrivers, etc.). Try to get it out, see what's in there, and clean and lubricate it (I'd use grease).

What format is this: 6x4.5? 6x6? I'm jonesing for* a 6x4.5 these days.

*wanting to get

Reiner
Tinkerer

Post Number: 99

Posted on Saturday, February 06, 2010 - 02:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The problem is that the springholder is like cemented. I fear to destroy it if I use too much force.

Walter
Tinkerer
Username: Walter

Post Number: 10

Posted on Saturday, February 06, 2010 - 11:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Please check that your camera is built to use filmtype 120. If the camera is built to use filmtype 620, you will have to use the spools of this special kind. Often you will find a label in the film chamber stating what type of film must be loaded. Both films 120 and 620 use the same film and backing paper but there is a slight difference in the spools dimension. You definitly should not load 120 film spools into cameras which are dedicatet to the 620 film spools. Please check this before you load the next film. Maybe the label I mentioned is not visible now, because it is under the spools you already have loaded.
Walter

David_nebenzahl
Tinkerer
Username: David_nebenzahl

Post Number: 128

Posted on Sunday, February 07, 2010 - 05:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I doubt if his camera takes 620. It could, but it's unlikely. Otherwise, your warning is a good one; 120 spools will jam in most 620 cameras.

Reiner
Tinkerer

Post Number: 101

Posted on Monday, February 08, 2010 - 10:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have solved the problem. Everything is fine now. But it was really annoying.

The camera was designed for 120 film rolls, absolutely no doubt. I was not specific enough in my initial writing. To enter the take spool a spool holder has to be flapped out. The spool is placed into the holder which is a round tray then folded back with the wind knob lifted. Likewise the spool holder can only be unfolded when the wind knob is lifted. Everything was a bit stiff and hard working.

After some playing I tried to lift the wind knob but it was blocked. So the whole mechanism was jammed and the spool inside blocked the access to the inside of the wind knob. I tried to get access via the top plate but invain. For some hours I used lighter fluid, tweezers, my fingers, a screw, a watch makers hammer and other stuff to get the wind knob moving again. At the end I had a weak thumb.

I succeeded with pure and brutal force, unfolded the spool holder with violence. It was bended and a part of a spool flange broke off but both came out. From the inside I could then pull out the lower part of the wind knob. The spring inside had blocked it. I cleaned everything, lubricated the inner parts of the wind knob, bent the spool holder in it's original form again, lubicated the glide area of the spool holder and reassembled everything. Now the camera is fine but I used a lot of time which I had dedicated for something else.

The spool holder covers 3/4 of the spool. It is possible to load a 135 film cartridge for some sprocket hole photography. The cartridge is well kept in position. The camera is a very simple 6x6 and 6x4,5 camera but the mask is missing at mine. The coated Tessar lens has an excellent reputation.

Reiner
Tinkerer

Post Number: 102

Posted on Monday, February 08, 2010 - 10:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here is a picture

Weltax take spool holder

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration