Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

UK: looking for tools Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » UK: looking for tools « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Lorriman
Tinkerer
Username: Lorriman

Post Number: 22

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, February 08, 2010 - 09:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anyone know where to get the equivalent of this in the UK:

lens tools

Monopix
Tinkerer
Username: Monopix

Post Number: 102

Posted on Monday, February 08, 2010 - 10:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I guess Microtools Europe (who ship to the UK) will have the same. I tend to use a rubber sheet with something like a spray can cap to undo lens fronts.

lens trim

Lorriman
Tinkerer
Username: Lorriman

Post Number: 23

Posted on Monday, February 08, 2010 - 11:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hmmm, I might try that. Didn;t realise there was a micro-tools europe.

thanks

Admin
Username: Admin

Post Number: 18

Posted on Friday, February 12, 2010 - 04:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am posting this bit of info on behalf of a contributor by email
-----

Since I have been in the camera business for over 22 years and in
photography since the mid '60's there are a lot of us that know how to
do this the easy way....

You can get a very similar set/or singles of rubber removal tools at
your local wine and beer brewing store as 'stoppers' for kegs. They come
in many sizes and have tapers so one can be used for at least 2 sizes.

I hope this helps.
Dick McRill

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 1056

Posted on Saturday, February 13, 2010 - 03:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have some of those, but what I tend to actually use is a piece of PVC plumbing pipe with a couple of pieces of double-sided foam adhesive tape stuck to the end. The adhesive sticks much more strongly with much less force applied than a plain rubber stopper.

Where you're trying to grip the outside of the object, a pair of rubber dish-washing gloves has proven to give a better grip than any of the rubber sheet things I've tried, and they are cheap and readily available.

Hanskerensky
Tinkerer
Username: Hanskerensky

Post Number: 23

Posted on Saturday, February 13, 2010 - 04:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Some good tips here !
Nice tip about the dishwashing gloves Rick. Never saw that before.

I often use rubber door stoppers which can be cheaply bought in DIY-shops. Another cheap source for rubber tools are old innertubes from bycicle tyres.

Rubber Door Stopper

Monopix
Tinkerer
Username: Monopix

Post Number: 108

Posted on Sunday, February 14, 2010 - 03:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've resorted to double sided sticky tape as well when I need something with extra grip. But I use the thin double sided tape rather than the foam as I find the foam will separate if you apply too much pressure to it.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration