Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Minolta XD5 shutter has no power Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Minolta XD5 shutter has no power « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Siementaa
Tinkerer
Username: Siementaa

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, February 09, 2010 - 07:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I recently inherited a minolta XD5 which appart from one problem, is in perfect working order. The issue appears to be that the shutter is stuck on 1/100 speed roughly, regardless of its setting. What led me to believe that this is a power issue is that the 1/100 speed is the same speed as the mechanical shutter mode, O, and that the bulb mode (B) also works as it should.

I have cleaned the battery terminals and bought fresh cells but there was no change. Power to camera does exist as the shutter speed LEDs in the viewfinder work fine.

Any help would be appreciated greatly as this is a fine camera.

Jeanmarie
Tinkerer
Username: Jeanmarie

Post Number: 2

Posted on Friday, February 26, 2010 - 04:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Siementaa,
Could you tell if it's not a 1/1000 speed all the time rather than 1/100 ?
If it is the fastest mechanical speed, I would check whether the closing-curtains electromagnet gets its connection to the ground : remove the top and check wether, on the flex circuit left to the speed knob, the black wire to the ground is well soldered. The other end goes to a screw next to the shutter/mirror assembly, and reaching there is much more work. How much do you measure at the red wire ? If not OV, there's a problem. Also check the continuity of the electromagnet coil (leads are brown and red wires).
I would recommend reading the repair manual of the XD11 if you can find it, it's very clear, though everyone says the camera craftsman issue is better. I couldn't find the latter.

JM

Mikeb
Tinkerer
Username: Mikeb

Post Number: 5

Posted on Saturday, February 27, 2010 - 08:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Camera craftsman reprints:

http://www.vintage-camera-repair.info/craftsman.htm

Thepurush
Tinkerer
Username: Thepurush

Post Number: 8

Posted on Saturday, January 28, 2012 - 11:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do u still hv the problem unsolved? Let me know.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration