Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Minolta SRT 101 needle stuck Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Minolta SRT 101 needle stuck « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Djamorpheus
Tinkerer
Username: Djamorpheus

Post Number: 5

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, February 09, 2010 - 10:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My SRT 101's metering needle gets stuck at the top of the viewfinder. Looking into it online, i found that its because of sticky foam where the needle rests. I did attempt to remove the top cover which was successful but when looking at the next things i had to remove on the service manual which i found online, i got intimidated, is there an easier way to fix this issue? or an easier way to lift up the prism?

Jack_croswell
Tinkerer
Username: Jack_croswell

Post Number: 3

Posted on Tuesday, February 09, 2010 - 11:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Since it's an SRT 101, I would recommend buying one on ebay for $10, practicing with that and then fixing the stuck needle. that's how I learned. Don't be intimidated, it just takes practice and patience.

Djamorpheus
Tinkerer

Post Number: 8

Posted on Sunday, February 28, 2010 - 01:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well i took apart my srt, scraped off the foam, but now... i'm having trouble putting it back together haha. The wheel just near the viewfinder that holds the tension for the shutter speed indicator is being difficult.

David_nebenzahl
Tinkerer
Username: David_nebenzahl

Post Number: 193

Posted on Sunday, February 28, 2010 - 04:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dunno if you want a service manual or not, but if you do, someone has copied all the pages of the official Minolta manual for the SRT-101 at this page. Kind of a pain in the butt--each page is a separate JPEG image--but it is complete and very clearly scanned. Has reassembly instructions as well as illustrations, though it's written in some kind of terrible "Jinglish".

Djamorpheus
Tinkerer

Post Number: 10

Posted on Monday, March 01, 2010 - 05:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yeah thanks, but i already have the service manual. I'm just having a hard time assembling the strings, especially the one near the viewfinder, the wheel.

Harryrag
Tinkerer
Username: Harryrag

Post Number: 185

Posted on Monday, March 01, 2010 - 06:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you follow the instructions AND stop the "wheel" from rotating by means of wooden toothpicks or matches - use them as provisional stoppers - it is a lot easier. Too much slack after installing the string can be corrected on the other end, IIRC.

Aphototaker
Tinkerer
Username: Aphototaker

Post Number: 94

Posted on Monday, March 01, 2010 - 07:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Canon FTb (new version) also has a shutter speed indicator wheel. It is located near the eye finder side left corner of the prism frame. The indicator is under spring tension and coupled with the shutter speed dial via a string. So a similar situation as yours.

The trick is that the indicator dial has to be wound a few times against the spring (twice? thrice? the manual should indicate), then blocked there using a pin (I used a paper pin) in the hole in the indicator's axle and then the string can be easily would around it and set. Once that is done, the pin can be removed from the indicator dial's axle.

Just wanted to give my experience in a similar situation, but you obviously need to adapt and see how it would work in your case.

Djamorpheus
Tinkerer

Post Number: 11

Posted on Monday, March 01, 2010 - 10:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How do you correct the amount of slack on the other end? I managed to get the string on the wheel. But if i put it on 1000 speed the speed indicator was moving towards B setting in the viewfinder.

George_hall
Tinkerer
Username: George_hall

Post Number: 1

Posted on Monday, March 01, 2010 - 11:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Need help with light meter battery on Minolta SRT 101 Camera. Does anyone know where I can purchase one? If not suggestions on what I can do?
Thanks
George Hall
e-mail: Drgeorge@bellsouth.net

Djamorpheus
Tinkerer

Post Number: 12

Posted on Monday, March 01, 2010 - 03:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Create a new thread if you want help with your problem.

Harryrag
Tinkerer
Username: Harryrag

Post Number: 186

Posted on Tuesday, March 02, 2010 - 10:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As far as I recall the procedure it depends on the mounting of the string around the wheel and how many turns you wind the string around it, the complete steps are in the repair manual, in the end you have to install the indicator. The whole thing is here: http://bowman.iespana.es/srt/service29.jpg

Aphototaker
Tinkerer
Username: Aphototaker

Post Number: 100

Posted on Tuesday, March 02, 2010 - 11:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If your speeds are off in the indicator, the possible causes (if the thread length has not been changed) are: insufficient number of turns of the indicator knob to create the string tension, wrong number of turns of the thread, or change in legth of the thread due to twists in it.

Just be sure you don't twist it too much, the second cause is relatively easy to fix, you can know how many turns the thread has on the wheel, and the first one is probably the most non-intuitive.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration