Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Storing cameras in paper Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Storing cameras in paper « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

David_nebenzahl
Tinkerer
Username: David_nebenzahl

Post Number: 140

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, February 10, 2010 - 06:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The thread here on plastics and material degradation has made me think about the ideal storage materials for cameras. (This may be more than an academic question for me in the near future, as I may have to put my camera collection in storage.)

I'm wondering about storing cameras in paper containers: cardboard cartons, paper liners, tissue-paper wrapping, etc. Aside from the esthetic value (I love paper!), it seems that this humble material may have some good points. It is fairly non-reactive and won't either corrode metal or degrade plastic. It should allow the stored items to "breathe" and thus avoid the problems stemming from trapped moisture.

This assumes, of course, that the paper packaging is kept dry and that the humidity of the storage space is kept low enough.

Regarding spores (fungus, etc.), it seems to be the case that trying to keep them completely out of cameras and lenses is futile; they're already there. The thing is not to provide an environment conducive to the growth of fungus. Paper may also do well here.

I haven't actually used this material for storage (apart from the usual stuff stored in cardboard cartons). What are other folks' thoughts on this?

Steve_roberts
Tinkerer
Username: Steve_roberts

Post Number: 42

Posted on Thursday, February 11, 2010 - 08:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've always avoided storing cameras in cardboard boxes, as where I live in the South West of England on Dartmoor the climate is always to some degree damp. Rightly or wrongly, I work on the basis that a) it's hard to dry card in the first place, b) it's then difficult to keep it dry and c) if it does become damp again it'll probably stay damp and promote the growth of a nice crop of mushrooms in my favourite lens. My chosen approach is to let the camera acclimatise to room temperature and then put it in one of those rectangular airtight food storage containers (the type with the neoprene seal and clamp-down lid)with a pack of silica gel. That seems to work as well as anything, but as you say, David, it's more a case of damage limitation than of total prevention. Slide storage poses a similar problem. Perhaps moving to Arizona is the answer!

Sevo
Tinkerer
Username: Sevo

Post Number: 56

Posted on Thursday, February 11, 2010 - 11:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Old spare parts often still are in oil paper wrap - and they are usually in a better shape than more recent spares in decaying PE bags.

David_nebenzahl
Tinkerer

Post Number: 142

Posted on Thursday, February 11, 2010 - 12:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, if only we could just stick our cameras and lenses in paper soaked in Cosmolene (that's the stuff they use, isn't it?). Unfortunately, while it would probably do a dandy job of preserving the camera, it would also leave an sticky film on everything.

The proper storage solution really seems to depend on the particular climate and immediate ambient conditions, as Steve described. Arizona would indeed be an ideal climate for camera storage, provided the collection wasn't allowed to roast. You should see the well-preserved cars roaming the streets down there in Phoenix and Tucson ...

Paul_ron
Tinkerer
Username: Paul_ron

Post Number: 195

Posted on Thursday, February 11, 2010 - 12:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Zip loc bag with silica packets to keep moisture levels down. Freshen the silica once in awhile adn you'll be able to store them for a long long time.

Marty
Tinkerer
Username: Marty

Post Number: 58

Posted on Thursday, February 11, 2010 - 02:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'd say that paper packing can bring in a number of problems of it's own... It tends to hold moisture, as has been pointed out, and also, many less expensive papers are high in acid content. In time, anything in contact with that paper can wind up looking "burned." This can be seen when a newspaper clipping has been kept in a book for a number of years... the shape of the clipping will often be burned into the contacting pages. I personally saw one instance where a number of guns stored in an attic wrapped in newspapers received a superficial coating of rust in just over a year.
I'd tend to lean toward using the tupperware type containers recommended by Steve Roberts above. I've used them for storing old flashlights and a number of matchbox type toy cars and such. If an item has to be stored with a high plastic content that might be required to "breath," then maybe some type of archival cardboard container may be better.
I've wrapped some items in aluminum foil and taped it shut. Seems to work for me, but if someone here sees problems with it, let me know. :-)

David_nebenzahl
Tinkerer

Post Number: 143

Posted on Thursday, February 11, 2010 - 05:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well. since we're finding possible problems with various materials and methods, I'd have to say that aluminum foil might cause electrolytic corrosion if it was in contact with a different metal (and if there was some moisture present).

I'm pretty sure any material is going to have its "gotchas".

Marty
Tinkerer
Username: Marty

Post Number: 60

Posted on Thursday, February 11, 2010 - 05:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, aluminum foil has it's potential problems too... besides the possibility of electrolytic corrosion, there would be absolutely NO venting of moisture.
I'd say what this thread illustrates best is that there is no one "best way" for long term storage. One has to look at the various materials one is dealing with along with the environment it will be kept in.
I'm not slamming paper in general either... However, one should be careful to use a low acid, or archival paper, if one chooses to wrap items that way.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration