Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon FTb: how to tweak shutter speed Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Canon FTb: how to tweak shutter speed « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Aphototaker
Tinkerer
Username: Aphototaker

Post Number: 65

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, February 15, 2010 - 10:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi again, folks.

Given my recent marathon of posts regarding my CLA and restoration project of a Canon FTb, I have another question.

Could somebody tell me where is the adjustment to make shutter speeds slower or faster? I have tried to search for this, but I am getting some seemingly conflicting information. One source tells me the shutter adjustments are two brass screws (which need fork-tip screw drivers) on the rewind knob side at the bottom of the camera. Another source tells me that shutter speeds can be changed by turning the release cam underneath the shutter speed selector assembly (right in the middle of the arms "1", "2" and "3" that I showed in my earlier thread, for those of you who saw that photo yesterday). Could somebody confirm one way or the other please?

Thanks.

Mikel
Tinkerer
Username: Mikel

Post Number: 206

Posted on Wednesday, February 17, 2010 - 08:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It is the brass screws.

If you have your shutter speeds reasonably accurate at this point you need to do nothing further.

Looking at your recent photos, I would say that you might find things in good order and not requiring any additional work.

The fast speeds seem to be in order.

Don't let it get too complicated.

Aphototaker
Tinkerer
Username: Aphototaker

Post Number: 70

Posted on Wednesday, February 17, 2010 - 09:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, I have been thinking about this and I agree with you. Looking at the results, I don't think I need to do anything else.

I also noted from the photos posted earlier that the exposure appears to be more or less constant at 1/1000 and f/5.6, 1/500 and f/8, and finally at 1/125 and f/11. This would lead me to believe that the speed are actually being doubled as the aperture is being halved, giving a reasonably constant exposure. So yes, the camera seems to be in order now.

Many thanks.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration