Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon AE-1, missing part? Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Canon AE-1, missing part? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Scho07
Tinkerer
Username: Scho07

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, February 17, 2010 - 06:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I recently bought a Canon AE-1 at a thrift store and realized that it was missing a part on the inside and I need help identifying the name of the part.

It's the black rectangular screen that lies flat in the center of the camera when the film cover is opened and covers the lens and shutter.

Is this part replaceable?

Gez
Tinkerer
Username: Gez

Post Number: 176

Posted on Wednesday, February 17, 2010 - 07:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I guess you mean the film pressure plate. It is easy to replace, but the best way to find a replacement is to look for a junker 'parts' body on fleabay. Don't bother struggling to fit the part just swap the whole door.

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 749

Posted on Wednesday, February 17, 2010 - 08:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Susan,

Your profile does not indicate where you are located, but if you have a repair shop reasonably 'local' they should be able to find what you want in the scrap bin - the price should be very reasonable if they are anything like a number of firms here in the UK.

If your really get stuck with finding a replacement contact me via PM.

Scho07
Tinkerer
Username: Scho07

Post Number: 2

Posted on Friday, February 19, 2010 - 07:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I talked to a couple of my friends and it's not the film pressure plate that's missing, it's the shutter itself.

I live in Providence, RI (USA).

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 751

Posted on Friday, February 19, 2010 - 10:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think you will find that the shutter is 'stuck' open and not actually removed from the body - although stranger things have happened to the odd thrift or eBay 'bargain'. If this is the case, with no disrespect to yourself, I suspect a DIY repair may be too complicated for you to carry out. I assume that you have checked/replaced the battery?

The archives give full details on the next area to check and clean; the electro-magnetic switches that control shutter release - these are in the base of the body and stick when dirty/contaminated. They are actually quite simple to clean if one has a few basic tools; however, your original request for help indicates to me that you are probably new to DIY camera repair and may not have the basic tools handy.

Short of getting a quote from a repair shop I do not know what to advise, but you should be aware that these cameras do need service from time to time. Thus that bargain, unless it has been recently serviced, may not turn out such a bargain after all - a professional service will probably be more than the camera's actual worth.

Sorry I cannot be more helpful.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration