Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

VP Twin Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » VP Twin « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Adrian
Tinkerer
Username: Adrian

Post Number: 289

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, February 18, 2010 - 02:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've just picked up one of these little Bakelite toys - the pre-war Woolworths ones. However the shutter is kaput. Does anyone know if it is possible to dismantle them, or is it a shelf queen? Not that I'll get Magnum-quality photos from it, but it's nice to try these things!

Johnhh39
Tinkerer
Username: Johnhh39

Post Number: 5

Posted on Friday, February 19, 2010 - 04:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry don`t know how to take it apart, but glad to see someone else has one I started with one of these back in the fifties or sixties. they occur now and again on ebay as does film, 126 if memory is right, haven`t used mine was just for the menories

Johnhh39
Tinkerer
Username: Johnhh39

Post Number: 6

Posted on Friday, February 19, 2010 - 05:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

just checked, uses 127 film available from efke - google search but developing could be a problem

Adrian
Tinkerer

Post Number: 290

Posted on Friday, February 19, 2010 - 08:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Developing only a problem until my Photoflo arrives, and I get the bathroom sorted!

I have a nasty feeling that it clips together, and it will break if I try to dismantle it. However I've got several other 127 cameras, so if I do work out how to get it apart there is likely to be a film lying about...

According to an interview I found with Google, Ken Russell's first camera was a VP Twin. So you share something with him!

Adrian
Tinkerer

Post Number: 291

Posted on Saturday, February 20, 2010 - 02:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just an update... When I pressed the lever, every now and again something twitched in the aperture, so I put a tiny bit of Universal Camera Fixing Fluid (Ronsonol...) on a cotton bud, and very carefully applied it to said aperture.

Result... success! Obviously it had just gunged up, and the fluid broke the friction. It still sticks occasionally, but given that it's three-quarters of a century old and I'm not going to be making a living with photos taken with it, I'm happy. Not often I say that, being a miserable git by nature :-)

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration