Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Agfa Karat 36 - Removing the Top Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Agfa Karat 36 - Removing the Top « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Howpow
Tinkerer
Username: Howpow

Post Number: 23

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, February 22, 2010 - 06:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Folks. I just picked up a Karat 36. I was wondering before I start if there are any tricks to removing the top. Also looking at the lens it looks as if you can just grasp it and screw it out. I tried but didn't want to force it, any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks

Scott
Tinkerer
Username: Scott

Post Number: 85

Posted on Monday, February 22, 2010 - 08:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I overhauled a Karat 36 a while back. No special tricks about removing the top-- just remove all of the screws and the re-wind knob.

Yes, the front lens group is threaded directly into the shutter, and you can unscrew it as a single unit.

Howpow
Tinkerer

Post Number: 24

Posted on Monday, February 22, 2010 - 04:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the info Scott. I'll tackle it in the next few days. I'll let you know how I go.

Howpow
Tinkerer

Post Number: 25

Posted on Wednesday, February 24, 2010 - 04:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Scott. Took the top off today and cleaned all the rangefinder glass. It's much brighter now. Did you tackle the famous Agfa green grease at all. my rangefinder is stiff but useable. If you pulled your helical apart what is the best way to tackle it.

Thanks

Scott
Tinkerer
Username: Scott

Post Number: 87

Posted on Wednesday, February 24, 2010 - 08:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, I had to dismantle the focusing helical, to clean and re-lube it. It wasn't especially difficult. Main thing is to make sure it gets put back into the same thread entrance.

You start by removing the shutter, and the square cover from the front.

If you really don't want to take it all apart, I think you can see the threads from inside the camera. Sometimes a few drops of solvent can help a little.

Howpow
Tinkerer

Post Number: 26

Posted on Thursday, February 25, 2010 - 04:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Scott. Thanks again for the information. As I said the rangefinder is useable, so I might leave it for now. I will try the lighter fluid though but I want to track down a hyperdermic needle so I can apply it accurately.

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 1065

Posted on Thursday, February 25, 2010 - 04:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lighter fluid will work if it hasn't already hardened too much - if it doesn't seem to be cutting the grease you might try either "Goof-Off" or Xylene.

Barnum
Tinkerer
Username: Barnum

Post Number: 155

Posted on Thursday, February 25, 2010 - 11:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I had the same(usual)problem with later Agfa cameras. Light application of three-in-one oil & a 'working', frees things up LUVERLY-JUBBLY! I have found this works with a number of mechanisms made stiff by dried out grease.

Howpow
Tinkerer

Post Number: 27

Posted on Thursday, February 25, 2010 - 06:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Rick and Barnum. The lighter fluid worked for me with a Super Solinette, so I'll try that first. I'll keep the others ideas as "Plan B".
Hey Barnum that Luverly-Jubbly comment makes me think you must be watching the British TV series "A Car is Born". The presenter Mark Evans uses it all the time.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration