Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Rolleiflex focus wheel lubrication! Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Rolleiflex focus wheel lubrication! « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Evisc
Tinkerer
Username: Evisc

Post Number: 33

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, February 23, 2010 - 03:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So I finally got down to dismantling the focusing wheel of my Rolleiflex 2.8E to lubricate it and get a smoother focus.

Now I would think that a multipurpose grease was the way to go, but the focus didn't feel as smooth as I hoped.

After that I tried my old friend wd-40 (although this seemed a bad idea), and it got a bit smoother but still not good.

I then bought a white lithium grease, which was even worse!

The repair manual says I'm supposed to use Special Grease LO AL5/B1, but I have no idea what this grease is!

Does anyone have any experience with focus wheel lubrication? Or know what the original grease is? Or what a good replacement would be?

Any response much appreciated!

Tom_cheshire
Tinkerer
Username: Tom_cheshire

Post Number: 280

Posted on Tuesday, February 23, 2010 - 08:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Why don't you ask at http://www.rolleiclub.com/ or ask Harry at http://www.rolleirepairs.com/ about that grease.

Lucas
Tinkerer
Username: Lucas

Post Number: 106

Posted on Thursday, February 25, 2010 - 11:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just used ball bearing grease on my MX. Perhaps the rougness is caused by galling and not due to the lubrification, you would first need to clean that up with some abrassive.

David_nebenzahl
Tinkerer
Username: David_nebenzahl

Post Number: 188

Posted on Thursday, February 25, 2010 - 11:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, it's hard to tell whether the focus is rough (i.e., not smooth), or whether it's stiff. If the latter, that could be due to the grease used. I've noticed this with many lenses I've lubed with grease. They turn smoothly but stiffly, so what's needed is a less-stiff grease. It would be nice to know where one can obtain the proper stuff.

Philacamera
Tinkerer
Username: Philacamera

Post Number: 9

Posted on Friday, February 26, 2010 - 08:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've always gotten great results using Moly grease on rolleicords, and though I've never tried it on a rolleiflex, I assume that the focusing eccentric is the same mechanism. For me, at least, it has provided buttery smooth operation without feeling too "slippy.

Does the repair manual mention using this grease for other parts elsewhere in the camera? This may give you a lead as to what its specific properties might be.

Also worth mentioning is Micro-tools, which sells several greases with gauged resistance properties that should provide you with some additional options.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration