Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon A1 A-1 erratic meter Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Canon A1 A-1 erratic meter « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jeanmarie
Tinkerer
Username: Jeanmarie

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, February 25, 2010 - 04:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Greetings,

I have been around for a little time, and this forum has already proven useful several times to me, as I was trying to repair my Canon FT (shutter dysfunction), my Olympus OM1 (needed big cleaning, and lubrication) and my Minolta XD5 (turned out to be a flex circuit, by the way, where could I find a new one ? Or is it possible to find the chips used by Minolta ?). I am very grateful to those of you who contribute to this forum.

Today a friend has given me a Canon A1 with an excellent lens. What a present ! However, I found out that the meter is erratic : most of the time it indicates underexposition even against bright sky (both numbers blink, shutter priority always 1.4 blinking on the right and aperture priority always 30" blinking on the left), and after fiddling a bit with the commands it gives correct indication. I tried to find information on the board and found a few interesting posts about the A1 meter, however I wonder what this problem could come from. I haven't been able to reach Rollinger's http://www.canonfd.com website where I was hoping to find the repair manual. Would you guys have an idea before I find the time to open the camera ?

JM

Jeanmarie
Tinkerer
Username: Jeanmarie

Post Number: 6

Posted on Tuesday, March 02, 2010 - 01:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I found that the meter is accurate whenever I push the button all the way down (shutter release if previously cocked). Otherwise, pushing the button half-way always indicates max underexposition. I haven't dismantled anything yet (except the shutter button to clean around with lighter fluid) as I need to finish a roll of film inside. I suppose the cell does operate correctly, but the connection to the shutter button fails when it's half-way pressed, although the LEDs are lit and do indicate minimum light. I'd be grateful if anyone who knows the A1 could explain to me how the button is connected to the metering system..

Aphototaker
Tinkerer
Username: Aphototaker

Post Number: 111

Posted on Wednesday, March 03, 2010 - 09:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"... it indicates underexposition even against bright sky (both numbers blink, shutter priority always 1.4 blinking on the right and aperture priority always 30" blinking on the left), ..."

hmm ... pointed at sky, wants aperture larger than 1.4 and time longer than 30". That indicates *over-exposure*. Or am I not getting something here?

Also, what is the ASA value you set during this experiment?

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration