Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

How to "revive" an old Nikon F3 Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » How to "revive" an old Nikon F3 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ajax925
Tinkerer
Username: Ajax925

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, February 27, 2010 - 05:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've got a Nikon F3 that was in fully functioning condition when I put it into storage a couple of years ago. When trying to use it now, even after putting new batteries in it, I can't get it to power up. The shutter can be triggered manually, but even when the film advances past the 1st frame point, there is no automatic response from the camera nor any LED metering activity. Any tips on how to bring it out of its slumber???

Jack_croswell
Tinkerer
Username: Jack_croswell

Post Number: 9

Posted on Saturday, February 27, 2010 - 05:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was there by any chance any battery corrosion from a battery left in the camera? If you take the bottom off and clean the electrical contacts (you can get 'detoxit' at radioshack) that might do the trick. I prefer to use a fiberglass brush you can get at www.micro-tools.com, but if applied correctly, detoxit usually works.
Let me know what happens

Arpit_banerjee
Tinkerer
Username: Arpit_banerjee

Post Number: 1

Posted on Thursday, May 12, 2011 - 11:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ok,i really know nothing of photography but my dad has an old asahi-pentax slr camera,non digital..it was left hanging for probably a decade n now last day when i thought of using it again i realised that nothing can be seen through the viewfinder n the lens appears opaque..do u know a way out of the problem sir??

Photographer_x
Tinkerer
Username: Photographer_x

Post Number: 5

Posted on Friday, May 13, 2011 - 11:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are you saying the viewfinder is black or just cloudy? Clean the lens with a paper towel damped in glass cleaner. Same for the viewfinder.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration