Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

FM2n shutter/mirror jammed open Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » FM2n shutter/mirror jammed open « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Lachlan
Tinkerer
Username: Lachlan

Post Number: 5

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, March 01, 2010 - 12:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey guys,

I have just receieved a used FM2n from a certain auction site, and after 20mins of joyful fully functioning playing it has jammed. I had tried to fire the shutter in B mode and quite simply the shutter did not close again, and the mirror did not return. Then I discovered that by moving the shutter speed upwards to faster then 1/60th it would reset the mirror and fire, but slower than that it would jam. Then, firing it on 1/8th, it has jammed fully, and the shutter speed dial is now also jammed, unable to move fully to either 1/15 or 1/4 and I'm too scared to force it much at all.

By flicking down the aperture lever I can get the mirror to manually return, and by opening up the bottom plate and fiddling I can get the film advance to advance, but nothing resets the shutter from it's fully open position.

I can easily get a return, as it was sold as fully working, and they did not describe a bang it had recieved that has warped the casing just above the viewfinder (a possible cause for my woes?), but obviously I'd just prefer a working camera...

Tom_cheshire
Tinkerer
Username: Tom_cheshire

Post Number: 284

Posted on Tuesday, March 02, 2010 - 11:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Your best bet is to return it.

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 1072

Posted on Tuesday, March 02, 2010 - 04:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There are other FM2n's out there. Unless you're yearning for a repair project at your own expense, return it and try for a working one.

Lachlan
Tinkerer
Username: Lachlan

Post Number: 6

Posted on Wednesday, March 03, 2010 - 11:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

yep, that's the road I'm going down.. well actually, since the seller is currently nonresponsive I'm going down the paypal dispute route haha

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration