Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

How to remove the shutter button asse... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » How to remove the shutter button assembly of Canon A-1 or A1 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Aphototaker
Tinkerer
Username: Aphototaker

Post Number: 98

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, March 02, 2010 - 09:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have been struggling with this little problem and thought of starting a new thread to gather all the suggestion that people may have on this common problem.

Removing the top of Canon A-1 is relative easy. No big tricks. Just need to remember the ASA position, to put the display switch on "ON" and to take out the aperture and time knob guard (while keeping care not to loose the little bearing underneath the guard slider switch). Also, there are two circlips to remove (snap rings), one from the rewind knob and the other from the winder knob.

But the biggest trouble is that shutter button removal. The button assembly has the shutter button in the center, a metallic ring (collar) around it and below that ring is the A and T switch. My understanding is that the collar right above the A and T selector is to be unscrewed. I have tried different methods, but it won't budge.I have tried tape and a rubber grip with hand, I have tried gripping the collar with a pair of long nose pliers through the rubber grip, I have tried to put a couple of tiny drops of naphtha on the button assuming it may be glued tight, nothing worked. I do not want to use more drastic measure, for they will damage.

So, folks, what method have you tried that worked?

Also, a possibly 'duh' question, is the collar to be unscrewed counter-clockwise or clockwise? I have been trying the former.

Thanks.

Gez
Tinkerer
Username: Gez

Post Number: 184

Posted on Tuesday, March 02, 2010 - 10:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tomosy suggests using a rubber pad but it didn't work for me. What will work is making a small flexiclamp out of 1/4 inch polycarbonate sheet, also try to get a couple of drops of WD-40 into the thread and leave overnight. The thread is ordinary RH.

Aphototaker
Tinkerer

Post Number: 99

Posted on Tuesday, March 02, 2010 - 11:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, rubber pad did not work for me either. I also tried using one of those rubber clamps they sell in hardware store. No luck.

I will give the polycarbonate strip tool a shot.

Thanks.

Jeanmarie
Tinkerer
Username: Jeanmarie

Post Number: 3

Posted on Tuesday, March 02, 2010 - 12:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What you want to remove is indeed the collar you're talking about, and it unscrews counterclockwise. The button inside comes together.
I used normal pliers around the collar, which I previously protected by wrapping it in several layers of pieces of old rubber gloves. This button was also tightly screwed on my A1. Good luck !
JM
PS : I wouldn't use any oil, or very scarcely, as it could reach the flexcircuit under or other pieces that are not meant to get any oil

Aphototaker
Tinkerer

Post Number: 101

Posted on Tuesday, March 02, 2010 - 12:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am kind of nervous using a pair of pliers around that. But that insulation might do the trick.

The rubber gloves that you are mentioning, are those the kind used by medical people? Or some others with thicker rubber?

Jeanmarie
Tinkerer
Username: Jeanmarie

Post Number: 5

Posted on Tuesday, March 02, 2010 - 12:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I guess the thinnest the better to keep around that button. I indeed used medical rubber gloves but I guess any dishwashing glove will do !

Aphototaker
Tinkerer

Post Number: 102

Posted on Tuesday, March 02, 2010 - 01:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Right. Thanks.

Using the gloves, is there some kinds of damage I should expect in the finish of the collar?

Aphototaker
Tinkerer

Post Number: 103

Posted on Tuesday, March 02, 2010 - 01:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Two tiny drops of oil, a few hours to let them seep, and a dish washing love place with two layers on the collar and turning carefully but firmly with a pair of pliers did the trick.

Thanks to you guys for all the help.

Now I am going to continue with my other thread regarding the meter being of by 2.67 stop in the whole range.

Regards.

Aphototaker
Tinkerer

Post Number: 105

Posted on Tuesday, March 02, 2010 - 02:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

BTW, only a tiny bit of turn with the pier was enough. It was sort of unlocking the collar. The rest was done with a rubber grip manually.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration