Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Minolta x700: Greasy/Oily pressure plate Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Minolta x700: Greasy/Oily pressure plate « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Flx
Tinkerer
Username: Flx

Post Number: 4

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, March 02, 2010 - 05:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi!
I couldn't find anything on this on the net and i couldn't get a copy of the x-700's service manual yet, so i'm asking here ..
I've been practising loading film with an old roll of already exposed film and after running some of it through the camera i discovered that the pressure plate left large sticky black stains on the film. it appears that the pressure plate of my x-700 has been heavily lubricated or oiled at some time and i wonder if that's alright and supposed to be like that, or if i'd rather remove that stuff. after all, i don't really like having this oily stuff on my film ..
i bought the camera used with the wrong type of batteries in it and one of them upside-down, so i'm a little suspicious.
Felix

Mndean
Tinkerer
Username: Mndean

Post Number: 198

Posted on Tuesday, March 02, 2010 - 05:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Felix,
Should be dry as a bone. You can remove the pressure plate and give it a good rinsing in naphtha and dry it with a lintless cloth or just take the whole back door off after the pressure plate and make sure there's no grease/oil on that as well. It's an odd place to find lubricant. Check your film chamber completely just to make sure it hasn't migrated anywhere else. You have good reason to be suspicious, if this is the same camera with the other aforementioned problem.

Tom_cheshire
Tinkerer
Username: Tom_cheshire

Post Number: 285

Posted on Tuesday, March 02, 2010 - 06:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"Large sticky black" has all the earmarks of rotted light seal foam that just got in the wrong places. Not lubricant.

Lighter fluid is the panacea here.

David_nebenzahl
Tinkerer
Username: David_nebenzahl

Post Number: 194

Posted on Tuesday, March 02, 2010 - 07:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

All hail the goddess Naphtha.

Mndean
Tinkerer
Username: Mndean

Post Number: 199

Posted on Tuesday, March 02, 2010 - 07:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Never seen a pressure plate with rotted light seal foam on it. Film rails yes. Learn something new every day.

Flx
Tinkerer
Username: Flx

Post Number: 5

Posted on Tuesday, March 02, 2010 - 08:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for answering!
Right, i'll get that stuff off there as soon as possible. I've just had a look at the film chamber and everything else appears to be clean, so no problems there. i did however find a large amount of the very same stuff on the inside of the hinge that indeed looks as if it had once been black foam. so i suppose you're right, it's most likely rotted light seals. i do hope the remainders of the seals are still sufficient, i suppose replacing them isn't exactly easy (or is it?)
i'll have the first roll developed tomorrow and then i'll know about the seals.. assuming they're still sufficient, would i need to do anything else apart from cleaning?
Thanks a lot for helping!

Donnie_strickland
Tinkerer
Username: Donnie_strickland

Post Number: 84

Posted on Tuesday, March 02, 2010 - 08:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Actually, it's quite easy. Our own Jon Goodman has posted instructions for the Minolta X- series cameras here:

https://kyp.hauslendale.com/classics/seal/Minolta_X_types.pdf

Jon sells on Ebay as "interslice" and he ships worldwide. His kits are the best; many folks on this forum can testify about the quality of his kits. And he's a great guy too!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration