Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

How to reach and clean underside of p... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » How to reach and clean underside of pentaprism in Canon A-1 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Aphototaker
Tinkerer
Username: Aphototaker

Post Number: 110

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, March 02, 2010 - 10:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In my Canon A-1, I notice that there is some texture like pattern that appears to be on part of the underside of the prism. In all probability, it is start of fungus. I have removed similar traces from its eye piece and from the prism surface facing the eye piece.

I have cleaned the focusing screen as well (just by blowing using a bulb blower) and the side of the lens (correcting lens?) that faces the screen. The texture/fungus was not on this side of the lens.

Furthermore, I have noticed that there is a slight distance difference between marks on the bottom surface of the prism (facing the mirror) and those on the focusing screen or on the bottom surface of the lens facing the screen. This can be seen by looking through the viewfinder and moving the camera up and down carefully. The two marks will appear to be separated by some distance and some parallax can be observed.

Considering all of this, I think that the remaining fungus is on the mirror side face of the prism.

What is the best way to get at that side of the penta-prims and clean it?

Thanks.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration