Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Konica S2 auto: advance jammed, shutt... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Konica S2 auto: advance jammed, shutter won't release « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Aphototaker
Tinkerer
Username: Aphototaker

Post Number: 113

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, March 04, 2010 - 03:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I got a Konica S2 Auto for less than 10 bucks and thought of resurrecting it from the dead with the help of this forum

The camera's viewfinder lens have a crack in them. Will this affect the picture taking performance (never used a rangefinder before)?

I took off the bottom and popped back the rewind button. The advance crank still did not work.

I then removed the name plate ring using a grip rubber pad and also the hood. Next, I removed the thin silver colored retainer ring. Had to drop tiny drops of oil around it and then pushed one of the slots with a screw driver. Wasn't too difficult. Next, I remove the lens front element. And then wavy brass washer (had to turn the locking screw so that the washer could be unscrewed).

Then I took off the ASA speed ring. That revealed the shutter (copal shutter?).

Now, I have read some posts in the archives. I am not sure what the problem is at this point.

The timer switch is activated, so I assume that will prevent the advance leaver from working. I tried to budge the timer lever, but it won't wind down back.

From the bottom, if I move the lever that is locking the advance shaft, I can turn the advance lever. But shutter does not release.

Is there some place I can download a repair manual for this camera?

Suggestions on what else to try? I can post photos that I took in the process.

Also, what can I check for to see if the camera is a goner?

Thanks.

Aphototaker
Tinkerer

Post Number: 114

Posted on Thursday, March 04, 2010 - 04:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Forgot to mention that the light meter also does not seem to respond to light.

I used a #675 battery in it and the red "check battery" button. If I move the battery a bit, I can get a consistent deflection. Appears that I need to clean the contacts. But I don't get a corresponding deflection for the exposure, no matter how I move the battery.

The CdS cell does appear to function though. If I shine a flashlight on it, its resistance changes (decrease with bright light).

Aphototaker
Tinkerer

Post Number: 116

Posted on Thursday, March 04, 2010 - 08:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Solved!

Well, I had just put a few drop of naphtha on the shutter blades and suddenly the timer started whirring (recall that it was already engaged). I tried cocking the advance lever and it worked too! And the shutter released when I pressed the button.

Never saw such a dramatic effect of naphtha :-)

Now off to see how to fix the infinity parallax error and other stuff with this camera.

Impman71
Tinkerer
Username: Impman71

Post Number: 16

Posted on Friday, March 05, 2010 - 05:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Good luck, I have finally nearly got my one functioning properly. I just need to adjust the rangefinder alignment. Both the aperture blades & shutter were stuck on mine. I ended up removing the shutter assembly from the body & submersing it in lighter fluid over night, then flushed it off with isopropyl alcohol.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration