Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Pentax Spotmeter V Disassembly (take ... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Pentax Spotmeter V Disassembly (take apart) hints « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mareklew
Tinkerer
Username: Mareklew

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, March 07, 2010 - 08:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello,
I couldn't find this info when I needed it, so I thought I will post it here, maybe it will be easier to locate for the next one needing it.

To take apart Pentax Spotmeter V you need to remove one screw under the serial number tag and the eyepiece. To remove the eyepiece you need to unscrew the ring UNDER the knurled focus adjustment ring. For that you need either a special tool, or a small hook of hard wire to grab the small holes in it. DON'T TRY to unscrew the outer part forcibly, it will not help removing the lower ring! Once the lower ring is loose you can unscrew the eyepiece itself.

Now you can remove the gray back cover, it has a hook on top, where the Pentax logo sits, so you need to slide it a little up when at the same time pulling back. It's all a bit tight if you didn't remove the hand-strap first (you don't need to remove the strap though).

Hope it helps somebody.

Marek

Mattbellphoto
Tinkerer
Username: Mattbellphoto

Post Number: 1

Posted on Monday, October 18, 2010 - 02:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for this info.

This is exactly what I needed to know to get my Spotmeter working well again.

Bliorg
Tinkerer
Username: Bliorg

Post Number: 31

Posted on Tuesday, October 19, 2010 - 06:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Very good info to have!

Paul_ron
Tinkerer
Username: Paul_ron

Post Number: 224

Posted on Wednesday, October 20, 2010 - 03:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have one in need of repair and coulnd't figure out how to open it. I posted my question here last year and never got any replies n forgot all about it till you mentioned this.

I still have the meter in the closet and just opened it up using your advice, thanks.

It was very easy to do and for some reaosn very intuative, so much so, I just couldn't figure it out myself.

One thing to point out. The rough ring around the eye piece unscrews easily enough once you rotate the eye piece to the limmit. Once the ring is off I used my spanner to take the retaining ring off. I pryed the latch at the top, and off it came.

I resoldered the rotted batttery wire and my meter is as good as new again.

thanks again for pioneering the way.

Mareklew
Tinkerer
Username: Mareklew

Post Number: 194

Posted on Wednesday, October 20, 2010 - 04:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In my Spotmeter the knurled part was glued with some sort of threadlock to the inner tube. I don't know, if it was originally so, or was it some service (or even user) that got annoyed by this part getting loose and secured it. Anyway, it was so firm, that for quite long I assumed these two elements to be one part.

If this was done to more Spotmeters by the factory (probably as a reliability improvement), then one has to be careful when forcing these elements apart - this threadlock in mine was really stiff and I wouldn't try to break it free without taking it out first.

When I wrote my original post, I was still under the impression these two can't be taken apart at all, hence the advice not to wrench the knurled part off. While I know now, that these parts can separate, I still would advice to try to remove the lower ring first anyway - just not to break anything.

Greets to you all and glad to hear that more of these old jewels are back in use!
Marek

Paul_ron
Tinkerer
Username: Paul_ron

Post Number: 225

Posted on Thursday, October 21, 2010 - 10:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have 2 of these meters, I tried the other one to see if the knerled ring was glued on, it wasn;t so maybe yours was tacked on by the user?

Anyway better to err on the safe side n not force it but do give it a try and if it doesn't come off easy go the alternate route n use an off set spanner. I have E clip pliers with off set tips that work just fine on these types of rings.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration