Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Ensign Selfix 1620 Epsilon shutter. Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Ensign Selfix 1620 Epsilon shutter. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Walkersj
Tinkerer
Username: Walkersj

Post Number: 13

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, March 07, 2010 - 11:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Has anyone experience of getting inside the above shutter? I've removed teh shutter from the camera, removed front and back lens elements, but there is no ring evident in the front to get further in. There is a black cover ring with the infinity stop in it, which I assume has to be removed. However it is not obvious how it comes off. Does the infinity stop hold the ring on, and if it does how is the stop fixed on?

Johnnyh
Tinkerer
Username: Johnnyh

Post Number: 10

Posted on Monday, March 08, 2010 - 08:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've looked at my 16-20, but from your description I infer that it may not be quite the same model of shutter; any chance of you posting a picture of it as far as it is dismantled?

Walkersj
Tinkerer

Post Number: 14

Posted on Monday, March 08, 2010 - 01:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I put the thing back together again, but here it is on the camera. Does this look familiar?

Epsilon Shutter

Johnnyh
Tinkerer

Post Number: 11

Posted on Tuesday, March 09, 2010 - 05:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ah, that's a later model shutter than the one on my 16-20, but it looks very similar to the one on my 12-20. It's a little while since I had that dismantled, but if I remember correctly, the shutter face (accessible after removing both front lens elements) is retained by a ring with serrated edges. It would look a bit like this Prontor:-
http://pheugo.com/cameras/index.php?page=prontor&WEBMGR=c860ab990860635c40383e41 19601c63

Walkersj
Tinkerer

Post Number: 15

Posted on Tuesday, March 09, 2010 - 12:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for reply. Unfortunately it is the removal of the front plate with the shutter speed numbers is the problem. If you remove the front lens element the next element seems to be fixed in with a ring with no spanner notches. Anyway it is buried in a collar, and the front plate is outside of the collar. Does the whole front unscrew, but I would have thought that it would be difficult to have it stop exactly in the right place.

Johnnyh
Tinkerer

Post Number: 12

Posted on Tuesday, March 09, 2010 - 02:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes you have to unscrew the next element. Where, as in this case, the lens manufacturer has not provided spanner notches, they're sometimes screwed home too tightly to undo with a 'rubber bung' friction type hand tool. I have sometimes managed to undo them by gripping in a vice *with_rubber_jaw_inserts* being careful not to over tighten. (Do not try to use a plumber's or 'Mole' type wrench!) If that fails I have had to cut my own spanner notches with a small fine-tooth hacksaw blade, first covering the lens glass with e.g. cotton-wool to catch the filings, and cleaning up carefully before unscrewing. It sounds drastic, but once you've done it the first time it all seems easy ;-)

Hanskerensky
Tinkerer
Username: Hanskerensky

Post Number: 32

Posted on Tuesday, March 09, 2010 - 02:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well sometimes there are no slits or notches and you have to do it like this :

http://www.flickr.com/photos/29504544@N08/2999448799/in/set-72157608592479767/

Or like this :
http://www.flickr.com/photos/29504544@N08/4224977552/in/set-72157622962172593/

Or maybe use special lensgrippers.

Johnnyh
Tinkerer

Post Number: 13

Posted on Tuesday, March 09, 2010 - 03:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oops, nearly forgot this bit ...

"Does the whole front unscrew, but I would have thought that it would be difficult to have it stop exactly in the right place."

The second element just screws back firmly into the shutter body as far as it will go, then that bit is correct. It's the first element where you should re-enter the multi-thread helicoil at the same position as it emerged from the second element tube, if you marked the original position (e.g. Infinity) to return to and if you want the lens lettering to be in the original orientation. But in any case it's wise to check the focus on e.g. a piece of Scotch tape stuck across the film plane.

Walkersj
Tinkerer

Post Number: 16

Posted on Thursday, March 11, 2010 - 10:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks everyone for suggestions. Keith South of The Living Image Camera Museum http://licm.org.uk/ kindly sent me some instructions and photos. The second element unscrews out with its holder, but was quite tight. I was able to grip it in a three jaw lathe chuck. There is another ring with slots underneath that which releases the front plate.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration