Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Zeiss Super Ikonta 532/16 Rangefinder... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Zeiss Super Ikonta 532/16 Rangefinder help needed « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jstair
Tinkerer
Username: Jstair

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, March 08, 2010 - 09:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am working on a Super Ikonta. It has the rangefinder comprised of two rotating elements mounted to the front standard, coupled via gears to the lens focus ring. I removed one of the rangefinder elements in order to clean the inside. I did not count how many turns it took to unthread. When I reinstalled it, I realized that there is no built in stop, ie, you can continue threading it in until it touches the second element. My question: Is the distance between the two elements crucial, and if so, how do I properly set it? I know that rotating the elements in relation to each other will affect rangefinder alignment. I am more concerned with the effect of changing the distance between the two elements. Thanks in advance,

Jason

David_nebenzahl
Tinkerer
Username: David_nebenzahl

Post Number: 208

Posted on Monday, March 08, 2010 - 11:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Having worked on a distant relative to your camera, a Moskva-5 which uses the same rangefinder system (copied from Zeiss), I can tell you that the distance between the rotating prisms isn't critical. On the Moskva, at least, the two elements should be screwed in as far as they will go.

The critical part in the rangefinder is the angular alignment of the two prisms. It may take some trial and error to get them back correctly. Easy enough to check: assemble it and focus on something at infinity. The two images should coincide; if they don't, you need to move one of the prisms. Doing this one tooth at a time, you'll eventually get it right.

Hanskerensky
Tinkerer
Username: Hanskerensky

Post Number: 31

Posted on Tuesday, March 09, 2010 - 12:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Moskva-5 indeed closely resembles the Super Ikonta. On this site you find some information about its rangefinder :
http://www3.telus.net/public/rpnchbck/Moskva5.html

Also check if the spring which has to take the play out of the gears is present :
http://www.flickr.com/photos/29504544@N08/4240922812/in/set-72157622453743852/

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration