Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Olympus 35EC lens repair Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Olympus 35EC lens repair « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

August
Tinkerer
Username: August

Post Number: 38

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, March 10, 2010 - 06:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have an Olympus 35EC where somehow, a prior tinkerer removed the lens from the focusing helical and was unable to put it back in. It's clear to me that the only way to get it back in will be to remove the front lens housings, but I haven't figured out how. Anyone ever done this? Thanks in advance.

Reiner
Tinkerer
Username: Reiner

Post Number: 110

Posted on Wednesday, March 10, 2010 - 12:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It is quite easy to put it back in again. You have to remove the notched ring which holds the nameplate of the lens with the CDS cell in it. The cell is not soldered in. It is connected to the meter circuit by two spring contacts. I am not shure any more if you have to remove one more ring but it should be easy to see.

What turns out to become a real problem is the re-setting of the infinity focus as the shutter has no B setting.

August
Tinkerer
Username: August

Post Number: 39

Posted on Wednesday, March 10, 2010 - 04:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Reiner.

The CDS on the EC camera is on the body, so I won't have to worry about disturbing it.

I have been trying to remove that notched ring but have not been able to get it out yet. It turns but is very stiff and doesn't seem to unscrew as it turns. I'll keep working on it.

I understand about the focus resetting. When set to ASA 25 with tape over the CDS, the shutter stays open for a second or two, so with patience I might be able to get a good enough look.

Reiner
Tinkerer
Username: Reiner

Post Number: 112

Posted on Thursday, March 11, 2010 - 01:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry that I have confused you. To be honest I never had an EC in my hand but I have repaired several ECR. I assume that the EC is in many ways similar to the ECR. One difference is the CDS cell, on the ECR is is within the lens barrel, on the EC it is on the body. The other is that the ECR has some kind of a wing attached to the focussing unit which does the coupling to the rangefinder. So the inner parts of the EC's lens barrel should be even simpler than that of the ECR.

The focussing thread of the lens is quite large. It is not as fine as usual.

Before screwing out the notched ring it is allways a good idea to clean the thread with a stiff brush like a tooth brush. When screwing a few drops of lighter fluid into the thread are very helpfull not as solvent but as a lubricant which creeps between the filter thread and the notched ring.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration