Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Retina IIc film advance stays locked ... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Retina IIc film advance stays locked after the making an exposure « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mug
Tinkerer
Username: Mug

Post Number: 4

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, March 11, 2010 - 08:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've an Kodak Retina IIc. The film advance doesnot always work fine. 90% everything is OK. But 10% of the time the film advance stays locked after the making an exposure. I can unlock it by press the film release button (the small knob at the top next to the shutter release button).
Can I make this more reliable ?
I can't find an explodes view of the camera inside on the internet, or other repair-manuals. So far I just try to repair this camera by trail an error. Shutter (slow times doesn't work) I fixed. But this problem I can't fix so far.

Chris_sherlock
Tinkerer
Username: Chris_sherlock

Post Number: 16

Posted on Thursday, March 11, 2010 - 10:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

G'day Mug,
Most likely you need to adjust the screw on the top of the release assembly shaft. When you press the shutter button two important things happen, the shutter fires, and the film advance is released. Ideally this happens at he same time. Something, or someone has disturbed the setting on your camera. When the adjsutment is out, as in your camera, a user who depresses the shutter button gently just until the shutter fires and then lets the button rise will find the film locked, if the adjustment is out the other way, you can find that the film release happens first, and so if you change your mind just before firing the shutter, you'll end up with an unexplained blank exposure on your film. The adjustment screw is visible under the top of the shutter push rod assembly. You'll need to unscrew it half a turn or more. You'll find a copy of the parts list on my website. http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~Srawhiti/index.html. Regards, Chris Sherlock

Mug
Tinkerer
Username: Mug

Post Number: 5

Posted on Thursday, March 11, 2010 - 01:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks a lot Chris. This is an great help for me. And indeed exact the technical problem explanation, and the right solution also ! You're an real Retina expert. I also liked this camera al lot. It's so nice build, compact build. And it's fine to use it. And if you're lucky not an expensive one (I paid 30,- euro's) Tomorrow I'am going to do the real test. I put the first film in it and going to make some pictures.

Arnold
Tinkerer
Username: Arnold

Post Number: 3

Posted on Monday, May 03, 2010 - 08:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have the same camera - it was showing very similar sign as Mug has reported. Now the film winding is firmly locked, and does not get released by the shutter action. I can't quite find the screw Chris mentions in his answer - "top of release assembly shaft". Is this inside the top cover? or the rod that I see going from top to bottom along the hinge of the lens cover? A little more detail steps to find the screw will be much appreciated.

Chris_sherlock
Tinkerer

Post Number: 19

Posted on Monday, May 03, 2010 - 11:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

G'day Arnold,

First things first, does the film release button unlock the film advance?

If not then your problem is not the same as Mugs.

Regards, chris

Milosdevino
Tinkerer
Username: Milosdevino

Post Number: 8

Posted on Tuesday, May 04, 2010 - 01:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

G'day Chris
I just downloaded your Retinette shutter repair pdf and I must congratulate you on it's awesomeness! Recommended reading for anyone who uses this site.

Arnold
Tinkerer

Post Number: 4

Posted on Wednesday, May 05, 2010 - 04:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Chris - At first it did, but now, the release button stays pushed, and the winding is still locked. Cheers

Chris_sherlock
Tinkerer

Post Number: 20

Posted on Wednesday, May 05, 2010 - 05:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok Arnold, not the same problem as Mug then. Probably you have multiple problems.

You must remove the top cover, find some guidelines here...http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~Srawhiti/retinarack.html

The first part covers removing the top cover.

The release button being stuck down will cause the film advance to jam.

The release button has spring underneath it so if it doesn't pop up one of three things must have happened, first the button is jamming in the guide hole in the top cover, dirt, dried grease, corrosion or a distorted top cover are all possibilities. Next option the button is jammed on the guide pin in the top of the camera body casting, much the same options for causes as above. Lastly the tip of the film release button is caught under the screwhead on the top of the shutter release shaft instead of resting on top of it.

Remove the top cover and let me know what you find.

Regards, Chris

Arnold
Tinkerer

Post Number: 5

Posted on Thursday, May 06, 2010 - 06:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Chris
What a great website you have, and the information in it are truly helpful. I have took the top off and the mechanism and teeth are in top notch condition. After a little giggle and the whole thing got unlocked and worked fine. But still prone to sticking after a few wind and fire. Especially the film release still prone to sticking. The camera has little use but stored near a sea and there are some corrosion to metal where exposed to air. I will lubricate with some grease and may be some oil where shafts meets the hole on the body to stop it sticking. Will report when I do this and put back together, but in the mean time thanks again - for your excellent information, pictures and expert advice. Best wishes Arnold

Arnold
Tinkerer

Post Number: 6

Posted on Thursday, May 06, 2010 - 06:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Whoops - this is kind of embarrassing, what I should have done, is to download the instruction for IIc first and learn how to use the camera! The film counter locks everything when the number is up. I was thinking the 'rewind button' instead of 'film release' button! The camera was jamming because of oil on shutter blade first (which I have fixed), so I did not think of the obvious when it completely froze up! But it was worth opening up and cleaning all the viewfinder range finder windows and lubricate, now everything runs like new. This camera was given to me from ageing father of my dear friend, not used since the 70's and there was still film in it - so I photographed them with remaining frames when the shutter stuck open. the photos still came out with beautiful nostalgic tone/colour with last frame with a lot of blur, with shutter half open for few minutes. Now I can report back and tell them the good news. Thanks again for your excellent site - very generous and embody everything that is good about the community of mechanical camera enthusiasts.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration