Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Minolta xk sticky shutter Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Minolta xk sticky shutter « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Kennym
Tinkerer
Username: Kennym

Post Number: 21

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, March 12, 2010 - 09:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hi,just got a minolta xk with sticky shutter,its in v/good condition & is very much worth sorting out,has anyone got ,worked on this camera,cleaned etc,any help at all would be most welcome,
cheers,

Mndean
Tinkerer
Username: Mndean

Post Number: 203

Posted on Friday, March 12, 2010 - 07:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It might help if you clarify what you mean by "sticky shutter". Does it not activate immediately when you press the shutter button? Does it not close when it should (I had an XD that did this)? A guess, but since the shutter is electronic it may be the shutter magnets. Someone more knowledgeable about the XK would have to weigh in. I don't have one.

Kennym
Tinkerer

Post Number: 22

Posted on Saturday, March 13, 2010 - 05:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

sometimes the mirror stays up & the shutter stays open,thats a sticky shutter,

Mndean
Tinkerer

Post Number: 204

Posted on Saturday, March 13, 2010 - 07:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, as long as there's good batteries in it, I can't say more than I did.

Gez
Tinkerer
Username: Gez

Post Number: 186

Posted on Saturday, March 13, 2010 - 08:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Whenever the mirror stays up and the shutter doesn't close always indicates that something is preventing the second curtain from running off and resetting the mirror. That something could be a defective timing mechanism or dry shutter bearings.
Increasing the tension on the 2nd curtain spindle may offer a temporary fix, but the shutter needs a clean and re-lube apart from any electronic issues.

Harryrag
Tinkerer
Username: Harryrag

Post Number: 208

Posted on Saturday, March 13, 2010 - 08:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Minolta XK=X1=XM? Then it does not have "curtains".
(I traded mine ages ago for a wristwatch, so there is not anything else I can contribute).

Gez
Tinkerer
Username: Gez

Post Number: 187

Posted on Saturday, March 13, 2010 - 02:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, the 'curtains' are titanium foil, just like the F2.

Denny
Tinkerer
Username: Denny

Post Number: 24

Posted on Saturday, March 13, 2010 - 09:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't know how similar the XK is to the SRT series, but this may be of some help.

Good luck

http://www.willegal.net/photo/photo-first_page.htm

David_nebenzahl
Tinkerer
Username: David_nebenzahl

Post Number: 215

Posted on Sunday, March 14, 2010 - 02:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Not at all similar if the XK has vertical-travelling metal curtains (the SRTs have horizontal cloth ones).

Mndean
Tinkerer

Post Number: 205

Posted on Sunday, March 14, 2010 - 02:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

XK has horizontal-traveling titanium curtains. Electronically controlled. I don't see how it could be similar to the SRT. Also, I read that if the Senswitch is not used in auto mode and the meter is not manually turned on, it could leave the mirror up and the shutter open for 16 seconds. Just some food for thought. I'll provide a line to the Rokkor Files site if you want to read about it.

Kennym
Tinkerer

Post Number: 23

Posted on Thursday, March 18, 2010 - 12:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

all ok now,took the bottom plate off,cleaned everything insight,oiled every moving part,spot on now,
cheers for all the advice,nobody but nobody repairs this camera anymore,

Mndean
Tinkerer

Post Number: 209

Posted on Friday, March 19, 2010 - 08:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Congrats, Kennym! You'll enjoy that camera, and I'm glad to see that it's not going to be a shelf queen. Someone may come to you one day if they have a similar problem for details. The XK doesn't come up in this forum a lot.

David_nebenzahl
Tinkerer
Username: David_nebenzahl

Post Number: 217

Posted on Friday, March 19, 2010 - 10:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So, after saying "congratulations", a question: I used to own an XG-M. I've always been confused by all the Xx-x nomenclature that Minolta used for these cameras. So many models! Was my XG-M related to this camera? What's the lineage here?

Mikel
Tinkerer
Username: Mikel

Post Number: 220

Posted on Friday, March 19, 2010 - 11:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No David, your XG-M was not related to the XK or anything other than an XG series camera.

The XG's all had cloth focal plane shutters.

The early ones had dipped capacitors which have lasted a long time. Later ones had aluminum can caps which were used for low cost. They are all failing now. The concept of the XG-M was good but the execution failed due to cheap construction.

The XK has a copal metal shutter. It is so rare that it is valuable on its own. It is similar to the XE series which it started. The XD series are the best current prospects. They are all better cameras than any XG's and the XD's are still going strong as are their close relatives, the Leica R4 series.

Rhughes
Tinkerer
Username: Rhughes

Post Number: 1

Posted on Thursday, May 13, 2010 - 09:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have recently acquired a very nice Minolta XK. The meter appears responds OK and seems to control shutter speed ok on Auto. The problem is that the meter scale is only visible when I hold the scale illumination window under a bright light. Is this typical with the XK meter. Can it be easily fixed, do I use the camera on Auto or do I look for a replacment meter?

Bob Hughes

Ksinclair
Tinkerer
Username: Ksinclair

Post Number: 1

Posted on Sunday, September 08, 2013 - 10:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Everyone,

I just got my first (XM Motor) in fair condition. Of course I locked the mirror by releasing with no battery in it. (Before that the shutter worked several times very well).
And here for an interesting one:
- The (XM,XK,X-1) has a lever in the battery compartment to unlock the mirror when the sutter is triggered with no power.
- The Motor has no such lever!
What is the trick?
I'm suspecting I might need to power the motor (but I don't have the power pack :-/

Could someone point me in the right direction (either how to unlock the mirror or voltage expected on the motor connectors...

thank you!

Kevin_

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration