Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Sluggish shutter on Edixa Reflex Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Sluggish shutter on Edixa Reflex « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Adrian
Tinkerer
Username: Adrian

Post Number: 295

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, March 18, 2010 - 06:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've just been given one of these, seems to be the 1954 model with no automatic diaphragm, speeds below 1/25th, or self-returning mirror.

It's in good cosmetic shape but the shutter is not right at speeds below 1/100. The right-hand curtain does not spring back all the way across its opening when the shutter is released at B or 1/25th, and at 1/50th it seems to slow down as it reaches the end of its travel (sort of shutter capping in reverse). It does seem to improve with exercise, but I'm wondering whether there is a reasonably simple fix, or whether as it's in nice condition and has a bunch of accessories it's destined to be a shelf queen?

Your thoughts would be appreciated!

Many thanks,

Adrian

Chris_sherlock
Tinkerer
Username: Chris_sherlock

Post Number: 18

Posted on Friday, March 19, 2010 - 09:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

G'day Adrian,

Three possible causes come to mind.
1.Dirt build-up and lack of lubrication.
2.Not enough curtain tension.
3.Curtains have dried out and hardened. Hardened curtains are very unenthusiastic about straightening out after spending a lot of time curled tightly round the roller.

Someone else might be able to gove more model-specific advice.
Regards, Chris

Adrian
Tinkerer

Post Number: 296

Posted on Saturday, March 20, 2010 - 03:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cheers, Chris

Curtains seem fine hardness-wise, so I guess 1 or 2. It looks as though I'm not going to get the shutter crate out without going a lot deeper than I want to to check the tension (the RH curtain definitely seems to run out of tension - and I'm fairly certain that the crate comes out via the lens throat - eek!), so it may be a case of clean what I can reach, a tiny touch of Ronsonol on the moving parts I can reach, then hope. Especially hope!

Adrian

Adrian
Tinkerer

Post Number: 297

Posted on Saturday, March 20, 2010 - 03:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Righty-ho, an update.

As suggested above, I've removed the film gate. I lifted the shutter curtains and/or tapes, depending on which bit I was fiddling with, with a cocktail stick and cleaned the bottom of the metal trim on the curtains with Ronsonol on a cotton bud. I also cleaned where they ran. I then dabbed the rollers that the curtains & tapes run on with a cotton bud (Q-Tip, for those across the pond) just barely moist with Ronsonol, and worked the shutter.

Result - 12 hours later, I still have a functional bulb setting, and the shutter speeds up as the indicated speeds go up. The curtain closes at all speeds. Hopefully that will keep happening, and I haven't just moved gunge elsewhere...

Prasanna
Tinkerer
Username: Prasanna

Post Number: 48

Posted on Sunday, March 21, 2010 - 07:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You may also want to lubricate the curtain roller spindles with a tiny drop of watch oil. That would make sure they don't get too dry, again. best, sp.

Adrian
Tinkerer

Post Number: 298

Posted on Wednesday, March 24, 2010 - 04:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Prasanna, I wondered about doing that. After 12 hours or so, and with the shutter still working at all speeds, I very gently lubed the roller spindles I could get to with a miniscule amount of oil. Rick Oleson's TV test suggests that the speeds are still slower than advertised - I reckon about a stop, which should be fine with b&w - but faster than pre-lube. Thanks for giving me the confodence to have a go!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration