Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Om2n - strange behaviour Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Om2n - strange behaviour « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Wojtek
Tinkerer
Username: Wojtek

Post Number: 5

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, March 19, 2010 - 03:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey guys.

I've got myself a very nice Olympus Om2n on a local Sunday market; a beautiful condition body with clean and nice Zuiko 50mm lens. I always wanted to have one, so I bought it, especially because the price was minimal.

First thing I've noticed was that the foam was all rotten and turned into goo, so I've replaced both film chamber seals and mirror dampers (thank you Jon Goodman and your foam! :-)

Then, I've put new batteries (silver-oxide, as it says in the manual) in. And... The camera works beautifully at all shutter times. But only when there's no film in! When I am putting the film in and shooting, sometimes the mirror gets jammed in the upper position. And it stays there. This is so strange - and it happens randomly. No pattern to it at all, neither a single typical shutter speed. It can happen both on 1/1000 or on 1/30, etc. Very frustrating. When it happens, the only thing I can do is to cock the shutter again (which is strange on its own) and then turn the knob to "Reset" when B is selected. The mirror falls off then.

That's really sad as I love the big viewfinder of this camera and I'd love to use it.

I've read something about possible fail of shutter magnets; can this be an issue? Or maybe there is something else getting in the way... Any ideas?

I'd appreciate all your help.

Best regards
Wojtek

Haggis
Tinkerer
Username: Haggis

Post Number: 2

Posted on Sunday, March 21, 2010 - 06:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Not sure myself. But the shutter magnets in OMs play up alot especially the double digit versions OM-XX. Ive also heard that the prism foam deteriorates and causes foul ups inside. Appareently there is a fix for the prism foam, and a procedure for cleaning the shutter magnets. Try a google search or search this forum.I'll try aswell.

Wojtek
Tinkerer
Username: Wojtek

Post Number: 6

Posted on Monday, March 22, 2010 - 08:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, man. The foam I did myself, all fixed. I'll look for the magnets...

Mikeusa
Tinkerer
Username: Mikeusa

Post Number: 1

Posted on Friday, July 16, 2010 - 01:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey Wojtek, I have the exact same problem with my newly acquired OM2n. Did you find a solution? much appreciated....Mike

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration