Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Aires III L shutter removal. Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Aires III L shutter removal. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Paul_c
Tinkerer
Username: Paul_c

Post Number: 6

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, March 22, 2010 - 05:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello,

Thanks too Daniel R. Mitchell webpage I got a lot of info how too dismantle the lens on this camera.
"Turn the shutter over and remove the rear lens and retaining ring from the shutter. The shutter will then lift out of the base".
Now I am stuck on removing the shutter.I removed the rear lens elements(2) but I can't see what to do next.Where is the retaining ring?
If somebody can share some info with me,thanks!

Paul

David_nebenzahl
Tinkerer
Username: David_nebenzahl

Post Number: 218

Posted on Monday, March 22, 2010 - 07:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I can help you here, having just completely torn down and rebuilt my Aires.

The retaining ring is deeply recessed. I couldn't reach it with my spanners (from Micro Tools), so I had to build a homemade one. I ground down a couple pieces of steel rod to flat screwdriver ends and screwed them to a piece of scrap wood. Looks crude but it worked.

Dan's page is pretty good, but he left a few things out. If you get stuck I might be able to help.

Paul_c
Tinkerer

Post Number: 7

Posted on Tuesday, March 23, 2010 - 05:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks David !
I did see that ring deep down with 4 slots and gave it a try but was afraid to destroy something.
I first used a aluminium tube and a file too make de tube fit the slots but aluminium is too soft so that did not work.
Finely I used 2 screwdrivers kept in place with 2 plates and a spanner.I had too use excessive
force too free the retaining ring.
Initially there was no need too remove the lens but I build a LRT (lens removal tool) using a syringe with the top off and a piece mastic (Bostik)
Next is too free the shutterblades(stuck open) and the diaphragm with one blade moving around arbitrary,
David, thank You again

lens removal tool

David_nebenzahl
Tinkerer

Post Number: 223

Posted on Tuesday, March 23, 2010 - 10:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Once you get everything taken apart, the Seikosha shutter is pretty easy and straightforward to work on.

The tricky parts of putting the Aires III back together are:

1. Lining up the gears when mating the lens assembly to the body. There are two sets of gears, one for cocking the shutter, the other for releasing it. It is pretty obvious what position things should be in in order for everything to work correctly, but takes a bit of fussing to get everyone to line up where they should be. It might take a couple of tries to get right.

2. Putting the focus helical back together is another trial-and-error process, but again, if you play with it for a while it'll be fairly obvious where things should line up (hint: make sure the lens assembly retracts far enough towards infinity focus). The fine focus adjustment can be done after everything is put back together by loosening the outer focus ring, adjusting infinity focus, then replacing the focus ring.

I also had to play around with the slow-speed escapement clockwork to get the slow speeds to work correctly. This is a matter of moving the entire assembly closer to or farther away from the center of the shutter. This can also be done after the camera is assembled.

David_nebenzahl
Tinkerer

Post Number: 226

Posted on Tuesday, March 23, 2010 - 07:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here's a little tip you can use once you get to the point of reassembling the shutter (assuming you tear it down completely).

I had trouble placing the shutter blades in the shutter, since they kept falling into the hole in the center. I found that cutting a small section of wooden dowel to the same height as the back ring of the shutter made this much easier (see photos below).

p1p2

Paul_c
Tinkerer

Post Number: 8

Posted on Wednesday, March 24, 2010 - 03:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks David for your recommendations, I will keep them in mind.
Time is my only(?) problem.But this beautiful camera is worth the effort.

my regards

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration