Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Need help disassembling a SMC Takumar... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Need help disassembling a SMC Takumar 135mm 2.5 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Eli
Tinkerer
Username: Eli

Post Number: 6

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, March 24, 2010 - 12:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just picked up an Asahi Pentax SMC Takumar 135mm f2.5 M42 along with some flash units and while the back glass looks to be in great shape, the front has some fungus on the exposed and back surfaces.

I am looking for information on removing this front element (group?) so I can clean this up.

Leesobing
Tinkerer
Username: Leesobing

Post Number: 52

Posted on Saturday, March 27, 2010 - 01:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

https://kyp.hauslendale.com/classics/pentaxtakumar.html
you can see the method how to overcome.
the lens is 4 ground 5 element.
Anymore
http://www.bigeye.url.tw/big5/d_p135_25.htm
here has photos how to dissambly even in CHINESE

David_nebenzahl
Tinkerer
Username: David_nebenzahl

Post Number: 231

Posted on Saturday, March 27, 2010 - 10:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Leesobing:

1. As with most of your recent postings, this is not helpful. The link you gave is to a page that covers a different lens (the Super Takumar ƒ3.5 135mm, not the lens the OP asked about).

2. If you're going to participate in this forum, I suggest you improve your English skills.

Now before everyone jumps all over my ass and calls me a racist, think about it a minute.

If I were trying to participate in a Chinese forum, and my Chinese language skills were what they are today, I would expect to be met by much angry derision and told never to post there again.

I don't think it's too much to ask. Your messages here are, for the most part, unintelligible.

Besides, you started out here by posting irrelevant spam,, so as far as I'm concerned you have to earn our trust back as to your true motives for posting here.

Eli
Tinkerer

Post Number: 7

Posted on Saturday, March 27, 2010 - 09:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I should add that this is the 6 element/group lens. My biggest problem is the notches on the name ring are tiny. I am milling a thin brass bar to fit and will post latter on how that goes. There is no other fungus present so if nothing else, it'll be a good portrait lens... I hope;-)

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 761

Posted on Sunday, March 28, 2010 - 08:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Seems I missed the message from Administration introducing our new Moderator!

Sadly in my opinion this Forum now seems to be going the way of many others - highjacked by relatively recent members, who seem to have a personal axe to grind or a personal agenda to work through and I am not referring to the likes of Leesobing here.

I add the following constructive comment - on a number of occasions I have found construction notes on other lenses of a similar focal length, from a particular manufacturer, most helpful at getting me started on the stripdown procedure.

Eli,

If you are using thin brass as the material for the tool 'bits' to remove this type of threaded name ring, mount the two bits or 'prongs' in a substantial bar and ensure that the bar touches the front lip of the ring. These rings can be tight and any bending moment in overlong 'prongs' will fracture the brass, with the possibility of damaging the front element. Personally I mill keys like this from gauge plate that is then fully hardened and tempered out - but rarely have to go down this road as the adjustable version I made many years ago will remove the majority I come across.

Mareklew
Tinkerer
Username: Mareklew

Post Number: 19

Posted on Sunday, March 28, 2010 - 10:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Glenn, the most annoying thing in any business is an intern. Without them, however, any business will die with the elder gurus.
BTW: will you count me as new, or old? I just re-registered here, but used to post some back around 2005 (look for Marek Lewandowski)?

As to spanners: I found that in a pinch two blades of an Xacto knife (these trapezoidal looking ones) sandwiched between two pieces of wood can do wonders. Your note holds, though: there has to be as little metal sticking out, as possible.

Marek

Gez
Tinkerer
Username: Gez

Post Number: 189

Posted on Sunday, March 28, 2010 - 10:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wise words Glenn. The moderators of another repair forum, manualfocus.org, have observed the way this forum is heading and have taken the precaution of suspending any new registrations.

Eli
Tinkerer

Post Number: 8

Posted on Sunday, March 28, 2010 - 10:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Glenn, Marek, thanks. I'm using a pair of flat vice locking plyers like these to hold and support the spanner.

http://megacheaphardware.com.au/images/Flat%20nose%20pliers.JPG

David_nebenzahl
Tinkerer

Post Number: 234

Posted on Sunday, March 28, 2010 - 02:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Once again I feel compelled to defend myself here, this time because I've apparently been sternly upbraided by Brother Glenn. To wit:
Sadly in my opinion this Forum now seems to be going the way of many others - highjacked by relatively recent members, who seem to have a personal axe to grind or a personal agenda to work through and I am not referring to the likes of Leesobing here.

Now I may not be the smartest person here, but even I can read between the lines and deduce that his indignation is aimed squarely at me. So here's my defense.

With one exception, I do not take back, or apologize for, anything I said to Leesobing in my posting, which was intentionally strongly worded. His messages (I'm assuming he's a he, which may be incorrect, but whatever) are often unhelpful, and I think that deserves to be pointed out. He may want to help, and may think he's helping, but often he's not.

The other part is about language skills, which I recognize is a touchy subject. I realize that even though this is clearly an English-language forum (not officially but de facto), there are many participants to whom English is a second (or third or fourth) language. That's fine, and some tolerance is naturally called for. But there is a point at which one should really insist that the person posting here try to improve their language skills, in the interest of understanding what they're writing. I believe my counter-example should show this clearly (what would happen if the shoe were on the other foot and I were posting incomprehensible Chinese on a Chinese forum). I actually discussed this very matter with a co-worker who is Chinese (an American of Chinese descent), and he completely agreed with me.

The one thing I got wrong and for which I would like to apologize to Leesobing is that I confused him with another poster (apparently also Chinese) who posted spam here (someone called "jecicapapa"). Leesobing is not a spammer.

So I don't consider myself the bad guy here. If you do, I guess you'll just have to do whatever you feel is necessary on account of that. I can't help you there.

Paul_ron
Tinkerer
Username: Paul_ron

Post Number: 210

Posted on Sunday, March 28, 2010 - 07:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

And who cares about langualge when he offered pictures to follow the text.

Amazingly enough this site is hit all over the world n we share our toys here.

Thanks.

Glenn
Tinkerer

Post Number: 762

Posted on Sunday, March 28, 2010 - 07:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

David,
There are plenty of posters on the internet whose mother tongue is English who produce more incomprehensible junk than the person being denigrated here does. This is a camera repair forum; nobody has a right to state that a person who is posting information within the forum's remit should improve their language skills, just because they do not comprehend - that is being arrogant in the extreme. I personally do not find said poster difficult to comprehend, if I did I would just ignore the posts in the first place.

As a matter off fact I have worn the other shoe and sent what were probably very incomprehensible emails to Hong Kong. I was not castigated for my very crude efforts, but received courteous replies from people that over the years have become true friends and helped me improve my Chinese.

If you do not like how some people post on the forum take it up with Margaret Mak, it certainly isn't your, or any other member come to that, responsibility to demand that people improve their language skills. That will come naturally if they are allowed to post on a friendly and informal forum.

Mndean
Tinkerer
Username: Mndean

Post Number: 213

Posted on Sunday, March 28, 2010 - 09:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't ever mind someone asking a question when their English is not very good. If I think I know what they want, I'll try to answer what I think they asked. They're happy to get a response that's helpful, if it's clear enough. The only ones I don't like are the spammers, and if there's going to be a hands-off approach to moderation, it's up to us to make sure they don't come back. I can't say I'm upset by mangled English here, since there are a lot of non-English speakers on this forum. I'd rather help than castigate them.

Aphototaker
Tinkerer
Username: Aphototaker

Post Number: 168

Posted on Sunday, March 28, 2010 - 10:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I appreciate the views Glenn has put forward. They show understanding, tolerance and wisdom. If nothing else in this thread, just his comments have given me something nice to remember.

Regarding trying to castigate and scare away spammers by being blunt, rude, arrogant, etc., I am not sure that will work. If spammers really gave a @$!* about these things, spam wouldn't be a problem today!

My take on the language issue is to be reasonable and practical. This is not an online English exam. It is unrealistic to think that a poster requesting help here would first listen to all these dressing downs and go to English classes (ref. Glenn's observation, often even native English speakers themselves hardly use proper grammar). If one can understand the question, good enough. Feel like replying? Sure, go ahead. It is an internet forum, after all! Don't like the questions, the tone of the poster, the grammar, the weather, your dinner, what have you? Don't post or reply. How simpler can it get?

I understand that there are various methods to deal with spam. Talking down to spammers (Bad boy! Shame no you!) has never been shown to work really. The ultimate method, I am afraid, might just be active moderation of the forum.

Finally, as most of you know, I had posted regarding Konica Auto S2' shutter earlier (Copal SVA). Many cited websites which actually did not show the exact model yet were of tremendous help. Also, Canon's FTb's instructions in the archives were of help in my opening and diagnosing a problem in an FT QL. So citations to literature on similar models can be of help.

Mndean
Tinkerer
Username: Mndean

Post Number: 215

Posted on Sunday, March 28, 2010 - 11:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Aphototaker,
I've actually considered you an enthusiastic learner, who didn't know a great deal about fixing cameras, and so asked a lot of questions. I never saw a question of yours that was out of line. Perhaps some were redundant or badly phrased, but this forum doesn't have the easiest search facility. A lot of us started that way - we buy some cameras and want to fix them, and ask many questions. I was like that in the 1990s on the old Usenet groups. Glenn is a very tolerant person, moreso than I am. My reactions come from certain experiences I've had on the internet, especially Usenet and blogs. I've seen Usenet groups/blog comment areas ruined because nobody would do anything about disruptive personalities.

Believe me, abuse against spammers does work, I had to do it on IRC years back when I was a moderator many times - us mods would back-channel each other and let the spammer/abuser have it before kickbanning them. They rarely came back with a new nick to try again. Ignoring them didn't work, they'd just type manifestos over and over again.

This forum has only started seeing spam in the last two years or so, and nobody seems to delete it. If too much of it starts coming in, it may be necessary for the owners to assert themselves and clean things up. Happily, they haven't had to yet. My method of dealing with spammers may not be considered the best way, but it comes from my internet experience. If the owners (or a venerable veteran like Rick Oleson) told me to stop, I would. I don't do it often, if you notice.

David_nebenzahl
Tinkerer

Post Number: 235

Posted on Monday, March 29, 2010 - 01:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I agree with everything you said about spammers, including your methods of dealing with them, which you're absolutely correct about. They don't just politely go away when asked nicely.

I'm a little baffled that this forum seems to be completely unmoderated. After all, it says right up there:
This forum is moderated. Inappropriate and irrelevant posts are removed without notification.

So why don't the people who own this site do anything about spam, etc.? I tried sending them messages about a spammer who showed up here a few months ago, but got absolutely no response or reaction.

Not a huge deal that will keep me from using the forum, but puzzling ...

Aphototaker
Tinkerer

Post Number: 169

Posted on Monday, March 29, 2010 - 08:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

er ... first, let me reiterate, I am new here so haven't seem as much of this forum as older members. Now, having said that, I must also clarify that I have actually never had a feeling while reading the archives (older or recent alike) that there was a lot of spam. This leads me to believe that spam is not such a big problem at this point, as seen from a reader's point of view.

However, I am not sure about others, I can assure you that a forum or newsgroup riddled with spam looks way more different than this forum. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised to know that statistically the amount of spam is negligible here.

Suggestion:
One method to deal with spam actively, other than trying to hit one's head agaist the shaming-the-spammers-wall is to report a spam message to the moderators. This way they would be able to act efficiently to such abuse. Perhaps we can have a small "report message as spam" button for every post (along with others that already exist).

Mndean: I appreciate your comments. I understand that given a group of people, one can't expect to please everyone. It is usual for every forum to have its own share of extremists (in terms of being pedantic, arrogant, snobs, touchy, etc.). Most readers have these qualities to some extent, but there some special ones who are gifted! :-)

David_nebenzahl
Tinkerer

Post Number: 236

Posted on Monday, March 29, 2010 - 09:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

But reread what I wrote: the "moderators" here (the people who own and operate this site) don't do anything to deter spammers. Nothing. So reporting spam seems to be an exercise in futility; that was my point.

Aphototaker
Tinkerer

Post Number: 170

Posted on Monday, March 29, 2010 - 09:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

David: have you actually reported spam to moderators? If yes, perhaps they decided that message in questions did not satisfy their criteria to be labeled as spam? e.g. the message by Leesobing in this thread gives links to web pages dealing with dis-assembly of lenses aided with pictures with legends. Exactly what this forum is about.

Could you cite a link or two of actual spam messages in this forum? I am a little interested, since I haven't come across them during the last few months I have been here.

David_nebenzahl
Tinkerer

Post Number: 238

Posted on Monday, March 29, 2010 - 09:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No, I'm just hypothetically supposing that if one reported spam that nothing would happen. In other words, blowing smoke out of my ass.

Sheesh! Do you have to over-analyze everything? Can't you read between the lines, use your judgement, etc.? Maybe that's why people become so annoyed with you.

Yes, I've reported spam. I'm too lazy to find the messages I reported just at the moment. Will perhaps do later.

Aphototaker
Tinkerer

Post Number: 171

Posted on Monday, March 29, 2010 - 09:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hmm ... IIRC, you are the first one to get annoyed as usual.

Instead of assuming stuff, I would rather see some proof and reserve my judgment. So I will wait for the elusive citations ... which are hard to find if they are very few! Q.E.D.

Look, I am only trying to help by commenting on concrete and specific actions. And, I won't repeat various reasons I have mentioned as to why the mods appear to be ignoring you (your sarcasm might also be factor, which I don't really care for at all).

Glenn
Tinkerer

Post Number: 763

Posted on Monday, March 29, 2010 - 10:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Let me state that whenever I have contacted Margaret Mak about dubious posts, the situation has been remedied immediately. I suspect that Margaret Mak, like many of us has a very busy life outside this forum and if things get really bad she may well ask for help. Until then I hope that those of use who are able, will continue to help those in need without the criticism that seems to be creeping in.

Aphototaker
Tinkerer

Post Number: 172

Posted on Monday, March 29, 2010 - 11:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

BTW, that bigeye website that Leesobing cited appears to have a lot of good information about disassembling/repairing lenses of various makes. The whole site, however, is in an oriental language. From the looks of it, it appears to be related to astophysics, I could be wrong though.

Californiabob
Tinkerer
Username: Californiabob

Post Number: 6

Posted on Monday, March 29, 2010 - 01:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Leesobing: excellent site you pointed to! Has
a section on converting lens from one mount to
another.

Please post more, Your ability to find stuff is
amazing for this site!

Glenn
Tinkerer

Post Number: 764

Posted on Monday, March 29, 2010 - 06:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bob,

You also found the DIY pages, certainly makes interesting reading when you look at some of the lenses used for conversion.

Californiabob
Tinkerer
Username: Californiabob

Post Number: 7

Posted on Monday, March 29, 2010 - 06:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

there seems to be dozens of conversions. There's a method to his conversions and he simply (!) applies it to all the mounts. It's not just to one mount - it's many to many!

Leesobing
Tinkerer
Username: Leesobing

Post Number: 58

Posted on Monday, March 29, 2010 - 09:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi everyone,
I am sorry for my posts made such controversy.Don't blame David's.Because my English is poor and link is not use to slove the problem.Eli's lens is 135 F3.5 not F2.5 so My post do not slove the problem truly.David's criticism is kindly who hope me can do better only the tone may strongly.(some words I use Google translation so may be not the best)

David_nebenzahl
Tinkerer

Post Number: 239

Posted on Monday, March 29, 2010 - 09:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Right; the problem may not be your English skills so much as the hash the on-line translators make of languages. (What is it like translating into Chinese using Google?)

Anyhow, welcome to the forum. Wish I could read Chinese (that is Chinese, isn't it?) to understand what's going on in that DIY page.

Aphototaker
Tinkerer

Post Number: 173

Posted on Monday, March 29, 2010 - 10:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Leesobing, you have shown humbleness and modesty that is exemplary in this forum! It is such a pleasure to see this attitude here. What a contrasting and wonderfully pleasant change! Keep up the good work.

Thank you for the link you provided.

Tom_cheshire
Tinkerer
Username: Tom_cheshire

Post Number: 295

Posted on Tuesday, March 30, 2010 - 05:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

And to think just last year I was the biggest rapscallion on this board with Glenn saying something to the effect of my egoistic nature. :-)

Little did he know even bigger rapscallions were in the future. :-)

Personally, I was sure LeeSobing was Polish and the website link was Taiwanese.

But my real curiosity is whatever happened to Eli's lens? Did he fix it?

Eli
Tinkerer

Post Number: 9

Posted on Thursday, April 01, 2010 - 09:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tom, I've not finished the lens yet, home stuff came up but I hope to get it done before the weekend is over.

Ethostech
Tinkerer
Username: Ethostech

Post Number: 152

Posted on Friday, April 09, 2010 - 09:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

David_nebenzahl ......... Henry and Kar do a great job in moderating this website in that they do not interfere except in cases of severe delinquencies. And this is in my view the absolute best photographic/camera repair site on the Internet. Bar none.
There are also many regular contributors who bend over backwards to offer helpful and constructive assistance and guidance.

I myself have a Pentax 135mm Super Takumar service article posted on this site and it should be quite good enough to see you through your technical difficulties. It will not see you through your personal attack proclivities however and I suggest you concentrate on the nuts and bolts and try to be a good and tolerant visitor/member. If you must criticise the English language skills of others, then get your own house in order first - because yours is not too flash.

Aphototaker
Tinkerer

Post Number: 192

Posted on Friday, April 09, 2010 - 09:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Completely agree with Ethostech.

It is relatively easy to find posts in the archives which show that some posters are bent upon being negatively critical and condescending. I am not sure how to explain this, but these posters consider anything that is not in line with their own thinking as malfeasance, especially from new posters. I just wish that they understood they are now in the age of internet (Welcome!), and it has posters of all different flavors and it is futile to imagine that posters are going to have a crystal ball telling them how the self styled style-policemen here think.

It is one thing to disagree or point out mistakes, but some seem to be getting pleasure by giving grief to others. Reminds me of various stubborn and uptight topic- and style- nazis from newsgroups (especially OS or programming newsgroups).

This is a wonderful forum. Controlling the topic of posts and abusive language is a valid thing to do. Barring that, it is my belief that any amount of overbearing criticism of posters here will eventually discourage contributions from new members and lead to stagnation of the forum. In that case, it would be no better than private communication between the select few members, and this is clearly not the mandate of this forum.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration