Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Nikon FE2 Aperature tab spring Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Nikon FE2 Aperature tab spring « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Djlewis
Tinkerer
Username: Djlewis

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, March 25, 2010 - 03:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a Nikon FE2 which I have not used for quite a few years. A friend who knows the camera looked at it and said that the spring which pushes the aperture tab on the body is missing or inoperative, so the tab does not follow the lens aperture ring when decreasing the aperture setting on an AI lens. He said this is usually due to mounting a non-AI lens, but I have never done that.

Is there some other way this could have happened? Could the spring simply deteriorate over time? I don't recall if it was stored tensed or relaxed.

Any idea what it would cost to replace the spring?

Thanks. --David.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Rene_apilado
Tinkerer
Username: Rene_apilado

Post Number: 2

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, March 29, 2010 - 12:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Same thing happened to my camera once. The spring providing tension to the aperture tab is a long spiral spring. It's very unlikely that the spring has deteriorated, more likely it has broken off or been detached.

If you're handy you can easily access the spring by removing the lens mounting flange. It should be easy to reattach the spring if it has simply broken off near the attachment point.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration