Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Nikon S shutter repair Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Nikon S shutter repair « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Proteus617
Tinkerer
Username: Proteus617

Post Number: 5

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, March 28, 2010 - 08:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm brand new at curtain repair so please take pity. I've replaced the lead curtain on my Nikon S. The shutter now totally caps at 1/500 and does not complete it's travel at 1/20. Do I now increase tension on the lead curtain until the capping disappears at the fastest speed and completes it's travel or do I now back of the second curtain a bit before I proceed? Also, what is the function of the gear shaped collar around the speed adjustment screw? Is it just a locking collar or does it adjust the position of the roller to it's internal spring?

Regards,
Matthew

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 1077

Posted on Sunday, March 28, 2010 - 04:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the location of the new curtain on the drum (with the #1 curtain, it's the ribbons on the feed drum that establish its position) perfectly correct? If not, there is no amount of adjustment that will make it run right.

Failing to complete travel, though, does suggest inadequate spring tension or some other problem such as the curtains being too thick and dragging. Do you know how much tension you have? Is there any speed at which the shutter opens and operates more or less correctly? If so, you can get a pretty decent idea of how well the 2 curtains' velocities are matched by sighting through it at a CRT TV screen or monitor: http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-135.html

I have some notes on the Nikon S that I can send you if you email me at [email protected] - can't guarantee that they will answer your questions but they might be useful.

Proteus617
Tinkerer
Username: Proteus617

Post Number: 6

Posted on Sunday, March 28, 2010 - 08:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Rick!

"Is the location of the new curtain on the drum perfectly correct?"

No. I didn't know enough to mark the location of the curtain on the drum when I replaced it. How do I remedy this?

"Failing to complete travel, though, does suggest inadequate spring tension or some other problem such as the curtains being too thick and dragging. Do you know how much tension you have? Is there any speed at which the shutter opens and operates more or less correctly?"

I can get the "middle fast" speeds to operate correctly. Increasing tension to get 1/20 to fire results in total capping at 1/500. I've been using your CRT method to time shutters for a while now (thanks for that).

Aside from my screwing up the location of the first curtain, I'm realizing that the shutter is pretty gummy from years of disuse. The slow speed escapement is now sitting in some ronsonol. Tomorrow I will pull the whole crate to replace second curtain and clean and relube all. Your notes will come in handy.

Regards,
Matthew

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration