Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Need Help with Konica S Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Need Help with Konica S « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Tunashoes
Tinkerer
Username: Tunashoes

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, March 28, 2010 - 07:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was wondering if anyone can help me with a repair of a 1959 (I think) Konica S? I am having trouble with the ASA ring. When I got the camera it was obvious that someone had already opened it up, they didn't put the screws back on the aperture ring. My problem with the ASA ring was there was some linkage attached to it with 4-5 bare wires coming from it that looked as though they had been cut. I have no idea where they were supposed to go or frankly what are they supposed to do! I am considering simply removing them (since they interfere with adjust the shutter speed and aperture). What would adjusting dialing in the films ASA do anyway???

Mndean
Tinkerer
Username: Mndean

Post Number: 214

Posted on Sunday, March 28, 2010 - 09:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The ASA wires are likely for the meter/autoexposure system. I don't know if the Konica S is an autoexposure camera, but it may not matter if the selenium cell is dead. Someone with more experience may have a better answer to deal with this problem.

Harryrag
Tinkerer
Username: Harryrag

Post Number: 219

Posted on Monday, March 29, 2010 - 09:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In later models like the CdS metered Auto S2, the ASA dial was coupled with an aperture like ring controlling the amount of light to enter the cell. On the earlier Konicas with selenium cells and other differently constructed cameras, this light control was not possible, so instead there were resistive strips inside the lens barrel and some wipers sliding along these strips to control the electric power reaching the meter, and, of course, there were wires to connect them. But I cannot be more precise here because I do not know that particular type of Konica.

Reiner
Tinkerer
Username: Reiner

Post Number: 114

Posted on Tuesday, March 30, 2010 - 09:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Harryrag is right.

The early Konica models S, SII and SIII with their selenium meters did not have automatic exposure. Instead they used match needle metering. To do that there must be wires and resistive stripes within the lens barrel to transmit an electric value to the light meter which corresponds to the choosen exposure parameters.

If the selenium cell is dead anyway you have not much to loose and you might want to remove the wires. But if has still some live it it might be worth trying to restore it. In opposite of many forum members I consider old selenium meters still as usable and worth to give it a repair attempt. But that is a different story. Quite often the resistive stripes are detoriated and a repair is impossible with reasonable efforts.

I have a Konica S2 with a stuck shutter. It is allmost identical to your camera. I did not consider opening it now but if you like to restore the wiring in yours I could give it a try and upload some pics since one day I must repair it anyway.

The Konica S/SII/SIII are very rare cameras at least in Germany. I do not like their plastic front bezels. It gives them a cheap appearance. However they have the potential of being excellent picture takers.

Tunashoes
Tinkerer
Username: Tunashoes

Post Number: 2

Posted on Tuesday, March 30, 2010 - 02:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for all the input. I decided to remove the damaged part. It was a metal tab that attached with 2 screws to the inside of the ASA adjustment ring. I suspect it is as you have suggested, some form of resistive stripes. But I really have no idea how it can possibly work, I suspect that a lot was missing. None the less I loaded some film in it and am going to give it a try setting everything manually. I suspect that the selenium cell may be working, it seems to respond erratically, but it DOES respond to changes in light, so that makes me think it works. I can't get to it however; I just don't have the tool to take off the screw on top of the winding lever. It has 2 tiny holes for tiny snap ring pliers or something. I have been looking online for a manual but haven't found one. I was wonder what might the little switch on top of the winding lever be for? It has a little window that changes from red to blue black/white?

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration