Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Petri Color 35 - lightmeter dead Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Petri Color 35 - lightmeter dead « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Reiner
Tinkerer
Username: Reiner

Post Number: 115

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, March 30, 2010 - 01:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Recently I acquired a Petri Color 35 with a dead lightmeter on a flew market. The battery compartment was clean. Not only the lightmeter the battery check did not work either.

In the between I have checked the connection between the battery compartment and the test switch under the top cap - ok. I have checked the switch under the bottom plate - ok. I have checked the battery test switch - ok. I have placed a battery in the compartment and I can measure the rigth voltage at the test switch. Nevertheless no movement of the meter needle. I could not get out the CDS cell but the battery test should work even with a defective CDS cell.

The last suspicious part is the meter itself. Does somebody have other ideas? What confuses me is that a once electrically good Color 35 out of my shelf behaves in the same way.

Harryrag
Tinkerer
Username: Harryrag

Post Number: 220

Posted on Tuesday, March 30, 2010 - 03:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In the P color 35 the CdS cell is jumper inserted which may lead to diconnected contacts. Like the shutter it is accessible from the front.
I have also found the wires leading to the meter housing to be intermitted, because the copper strands inside the insulation can break as the meter barrel is slightly turning during metering.
I have never found a dead meter solenoid in a Petri, though.

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 1079

Posted on Tuesday, March 30, 2010 - 09:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you have a wire with one strand left unbroken, it may pass enough current for your test meter but not enough for the camera meter or test light...

Waynemel
Tinkerer
Username: Waynemel

Post Number: 417

Posted on Friday, February 01, 2013 - 08:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Any luck with this problem? I have a very similar situation. Any tips on how to remove the meter to check the continuity of the lead wires?

Neuberger
Tinkerer
Username: Neuberger

Post Number: 74

Posted on Sunday, February 03, 2013 - 04:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This thread is almost 3 years old, you didn't notice that, did you?
Stripping a P color 35 down is easy, reassembly is not.
Study this first: http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~rd2h-ari/BUNKAI_KOGATA.htm
In the same source there is another article on the P 35 C, use any language tool to "translate"/convert it into English or any other language and it will turn out to be of some use to a repairer and/or collector.

Waynemel
Tinkerer
Username: Waynemel

Post Number: 418

Posted on Sunday, February 03, 2013 - 09:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, I knew it was an old thread. I didn't think it was necessary to start a new one, only to be chastised for not searching the archives.
Thanks for the links. I will check them out.

Elwrongo
Tinkerer
Username: Elwrongo

Post Number: 60

Posted on Tuesday, July 30, 2013 - 07:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I had the same problem on my Petri 35 Color - almost identical - replacing the meter wire cured it.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration