Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Fujica ST605 fault? Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Fujica ST605 fault? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Bluesinlondoon
Tinkerer
Username: Bluesinlondoon

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, April 08, 2010 - 03:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all, first timer here and apologies if I've posted the wrong thing/in the wrong place...

I've decided to get back to film after all these years and have dug out my Dad's old ST605. All appears to be in working order except that when set to 1/60th shutter speed the shutter remains open while release is held down... Surely this isn't right?

Would be grateful if any of you could shed any light,

Thanks

Agno3
Tinkerer
Username: Agno3

Post Number: 19

Posted on Thursday, April 08, 2010 - 06:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Of course that isn't right. The camera simply needs a CLA (clean, lubricate and adjust). The shutter gearing is hanging at that speed, probably due to hardened lubricants. It's normal in older cameras that have not been exercised.

That being said, keep exercising the camera at 1/30th and 1/125th in hopes 1/60th will free up. Quite often it does.

David_nebenzahl
Tinkerer
Username: David_nebenzahl

Post Number: 263

Posted on Thursday, April 08, 2010 - 11:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How easy is it to open up this camera and reveal the shutter? If it's not too difficult, the OP might want to do this and try a few drops of solvent (naphtha/lighter fluid), which sometimes does the trick. (I don't know anything about this particular camera.)

Bluesinlondoon
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Thursday, April 08, 2010 - 11:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Agno.

Is doing a 'CLA' a job I could take on myself with no experience, or should I really leave it to a professional (assuming I can find one)?

Don't suppose you (or anyone else) could point me to a 'How To Clean, Lubricate and Adjust an ST605' or similar type page?

Mareklew
Tinkerer
Username: Mareklew

Post Number: 43

Posted on Thursday, April 08, 2010 - 01:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It depends. My very first CLA was on a Praktica, a few years ago. On the plus side, it was working afterwards, and was very accurate. On the downside, it looked awful, because I had no proper tools, and before I learned shortcuts leave marks it was too late. Since this Praktica was anyway a €3.50 write-off sold 'terminally broken, for parts', I had no bad feelings about learning on it. It might not be the case with your father's camera.

There's no inherent magic in fixing cameras, but you have to assume, that the first one you will break first for sure and maybe will be able to fix it up after. You may be lucky, or talented, and be spared this step, but you have to assume you aren't and won't.

Marek

Bluesinlondoon
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Friday, April 09, 2010 - 03:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the honest answer Marek... Sounds like perhaps I better get someone who knows what they're doing to do the job in this case.

Anyone able to recommend somewhere in London where I might get it done?

Agno3
Tinkerer
Username: Agno3

Post Number: 20

Posted on Friday, April 09, 2010 - 11:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I agree that it probably isn't a good idea to open this camera as a first time repair. Fuji made these very compactly and to get to the innermost workings a near full disassembly will be required.

You should be aware that camera service is generally not inexpensive. That said, you can probably find another on eBay for less than the cost of a repair but bear in mind these cameras are pre-1980 and any of them could develop faults.

I still recommend the exercise methodology. Then, if that doesn't work, proceed to repair if you wish. It was your Dad's after all, and no other camera can replace that.

Mareklew
Tinkerer
Username: Mareklew

Post Number: 46

Posted on Saturday, April 10, 2010 - 01:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You should be aware that camera service is generally not inexpensive. That said, you can probably find another on eBay for less than the cost of a repair but bear in mind these cameras are pre-1980 and any of them could develop faults.

Exactly. It makes little sense to count CLA against re-purchase, because most cameras of that age will need CLA, even if they seem to run ok at first glance. And it is much better to have a camera serviced, which you know was never abused, did not run a million of rolls of film in Sahara, than buying one from an unknown source and still having to CLA it.

Marek

PS: my Rolleicord bought as 'overhauled, shutter times OK' had shutter 1 stop off, film advance lock stuck and scratched focusing screen. I considered returning it to seller, but I CLA'd it instead and now I have a camera I know is OK and clean inside.

Gez
Tinkerer
Username: Gez

Post Number: 192

Posted on Saturday, April 10, 2010 - 02:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I haven't worked on a ST605, but if it is similar to the ST701 the slow speeds escapement is directly accessible under the base plate. The slow speeds mechanism isn't engaged at 1/60sec but a gentle clean in that area will probably help. Just be careful of the rewind button on reassembly, it can be difficult to reposition.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration