Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Nikon F3 LCD Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Nikon F3 LCD « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jfdupuis
Tinkerer
Username: Jfdupuis

Post Number: 8

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, April 09, 2010 - 03:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,

I have a Nikon F3 on that needed a repair of the mechanical shutter release. This was successfully done. Now, the only thing left to make this F3 fully back to life is a problem with the LCD. I don't see the + or - and the numbers go nuts over 1/60. Is any of you that have any repair tips for the LCD. It seems that this is a weakness of the F3.

Regards,

Jeff

Sevo
Tinkerer
Username: Sevo

Post Number: 62

Posted on Friday, April 09, 2010 - 06:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nikon service should still be able to replace it, unless they have run out of spares - the F3 is not scheduled for official end of service until next year.

Jfdupuis
Tinkerer
Username: Jfdupuis

Post Number: 10

Posted on Monday, April 12, 2010 - 05:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I finally managed to get things working. After dismantling the LCD and remounting it, the LCD was back to normal. I was still afraid of bad behavior as the LCD was indicating 80 and no + or -. So, for the one like me who didn't know it, the frame counter need to reach 1 to have the proper shutter speed indication on the LCD as well as the + and -.

M_currie
Tinkerer
Username: M_currie

Post Number: 224

Posted on Monday, April 12, 2010 - 04:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I panicked the first time my F3 wouldn't read anything but 80, too. I wish they hadn't done that! I've always had pretty good luck squeezing an extra picture out at the beginning.

Edward8
Tinkerer
Username: Edward8

Post Number: 6

Posted on Friday, April 16, 2010 - 05:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The F3 is one of Nikon's odd cameras. Silky smooth operation, but with serious quirks. The circuit board under the rewind knob and flash mount is vulnerable to knocks. Not really a camera for hard work. However, that said, it's a beaut camera to use, particularly with the HP viewfinder. The flash that attached - an SB 17,I think - was pretty much a useless ornament. The F3 was a Nikon mistake, an exercise in form over function. This was rectified with the production of the F4.

I was always wary of the F3. It was the first serious Nikon to operate on batteries. So. To be a contender in the field, one had to dock the F3 with its motor drive, which powered the whole unit. On a scale of 1 to 10 - I rate the Nikon F3 High Point as ... drum roll! ... 2.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration