Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

About CdS meters - some numbers, some... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » About CdS meters - some numbers, some theory and some bµ!!$*t « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mareklew
Tinkerer
Username: Mareklew

Post Number: 50

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, April 12, 2010 - 02:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As mentioned in the thread about buying CdS sensors (https://kyp.hauslendale.com/classics/forum/messages/2/18472.html) I have started a longer write-up on CdS meters.

If any one of you is interested in this topic, I'd love to hear some feedback, before I proceed further - I'm just not sure if it is of any use, and if it is understandable - English isn't my native language, leave alone all the problems of structuring one's thoughts. There are 9 pages right now, as free time allows I'd proceed further - finish the thing on "mercury battery" type meters and start about bridge circuits, light metering "types" and then discuss adjustments.

The final conclusion I'm aiming at is adjusting light meters in one shot. I have managed to adjust my Gossen Lunasix 3 and a Praktica meter in one shot, by taking some measurements, computing necessary pot values and setting them to the computed values. Both meters were dead on (to better than 1/3 stop throughout full range, I have no better reference to check against) afterward. I'd like to put down the theory needed to do it in writing.

The PDF can be found here: http://lwow.home.pl/photoblog/index.php/on-cds-meters/
The linked page is going to be updated as the PDF file is revised.

Marek

Ron_g
Tinkerer
Username: Ron_g

Post Number: 15

Posted on Monday, April 12, 2010 - 04:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I read some of what you have written but I have found over the years that I cannot retain all the things I need to know and I don't need everything that I know all of the time so my aspiration is to be able to find the info that I do need when I need it to either learn for the first time or refresh what I used to know and have forgotten.
Your article is a great resource and reference work and it is not unappeciated,I hope that you will continue to add to it as time permits.Ron G

Nickon51
Tinkerer
Username: Nickon51

Post Number: 127

Posted on Tuesday, April 13, 2010 - 03:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is a comprehensive work on the "simple" CDS meter. Well done so far.

Dirbel
Tinkerer
Username: Dirbel

Post Number: 33

Posted on Tuesday, April 13, 2010 - 07:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I really like your article; and yes is perfectly readable, language as well as structure (but note that I am no native speaker either).

Dirk

Mareklew
Tinkerer

Post Number: 52

Posted on Wednesday, April 14, 2010 - 02:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the encouragement!
I will proceed as time allows and notify on updates.
Marek

Clay
Tinkerer
Username: Clay

Post Number: 30

Posted on Wednesday, April 14, 2010 - 07:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Very nice and timely.My Gossen Lunasix III is on my
last mercury cells. (Lunapro in North America).
Keep up the good work.
Best regards,

/Clay

Mareklew
Tinkerer

Post Number: 54

Posted on Thursday, April 15, 2010 - 12:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Clay, if your meter is metering good on mercury cells, DON'T readjust! There's a trick to mod a CdS meter for silver oxide without re-trimming. I will be describing it in that PDF.

Marek

Richb
Tinkerer
Username: Richb

Post Number: 3

Posted on Thursday, April 15, 2010 - 09:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Marek -
I have just started restoring some older CDS meters, your article is excellent and most helpful.
Your article is a perfect combination of theory and practical.
I am looking forward to your next post on this subject.

Richb

Clay
Tinkerer

Post Number: 31

Posted on Thursday, April 15, 2010 - 05:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I understand. Been looking into the alternatives,
zinc-air hearing aid batteries, Wein Cells,
Schotsky diode and silver oxide cells. The
Gossen uses the same mercury cells as my
Minolta SRT101 and Minolta HiMatic 7S. Glad my
Nikon F2AS uses silver oxide, ha!Why are we forced
to buy curly flourescent light bulbs with more
mercury than the batteries? Only in North America!
Best regards,
/Clay

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 768

Posted on Thursday, April 15, 2010 - 05:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Clay,

Contact Gossen direct in Germany or their Agent in North America and get their battery adapter. Works fine with two standard silver cells and no messing about with stupid modifications or readjustments needed.

If you visit Gossen's German site and look in the photography section, you will find contact details/specs etc.

John_shriver
Tinkerer
Username: John_shriver

Post Number: 55

Posted on Thursday, April 15, 2010 - 06:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

While the Gossen adatper for Silver Oxide cells is very nice, I did find that I had to pay to have the meter recalibrated anyways.

Clay
Tinkerer

Post Number: 32

Posted on Thursday, April 15, 2010 - 06:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Glenn, I've seen them on Evil-Bay and on
B&H's site in New York.Read good reports about the
adapter, be about $40.00 Canadian. Nearest big
city to me is Toronto.Have a camera show this
Sunday and I shall poke around there first.
Best regards,
/Clay

Clay
Tinkerer

Post Number: 34

Posted on Tuesday, April 20, 2010 - 08:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No joy at the camera show, picked up some filters
for B&W: Red, Yellow, Orange, Green, and a book
that I've wanted since 1968: 'AMP Nikon F Handbook
of Photography',loose-leaf. My F2 is just an F with
bugs removed.

Found this at photo.net: 'The last of the mercury cells didn't use the chemistry that gave a super stable 1.35V, but a slightly different chemistry that gave higher energy capacity, but a slightly different and less stable voltage. Thus, "black market" batteries are worthless for our purposes anyway. The correct chemistry mercury cells have been unavailable for far longer than is commonly believed. If you put an accurate meter on a mercury cell and see even slightly different than 1.35V, it's not the right one. No mercury battery is legal to sell anymore, in spite of the fact that every CFL contains mercury!'

Also check this link I found last night:

http://www.graphic-fusion.com/lunapro.htm

Best regards,

/Clay

Mareklew
Tinkerer

Post Number: 60

Posted on Tuesday, April 27, 2010 - 01:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Updated the document today, not much new text, but some figures to illustrate things.
http://lwow.home.pl/photoblog/index.php/on-cds-meters/
Marek

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration