Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Minolta XG-M problems Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Minolta XG-M problems « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Flumph
Tinkerer
Username: Flumph

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, April 12, 2010 - 10:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So, google hasn't really been too helpful on this one.

I ordered this camera with a Kiron lens last week, and I got it today expecting a day full of shooting. Well, it doesn't work.

When I look through the viewfinder, all I can see is the focusing prism. The film advance lever also only travels the initial 30 degrees, then catches on something. Also, there's the classic problem of the light meter shutting down after pressing the shutter release button all the way down. The mirror is up, and the curtain is closed (but I can pull the mirror down, it just flips up when I let go).

So, is it the capacitors? It seems like the film advance lever should work even if it were the capacitors... It's worth it to me to either try and fix it or just get a new body, because the price of the lens alone was worth the whole purchase.

Thanks.

Teraforce88
Tinkerer
Username: Teraforce88

Post Number: 12

Posted on Wednesday, April 14, 2010 - 08:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What happens when you remove the batteries?

Monopix
Tinkerer
Username: Monopix

Post Number: 127

Posted on Thursday, April 15, 2010 - 08:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The film advance lock is still on because the mirror/shutter hasn't completed it's cycle. You could try manually releasing the wind lock and recock the shutter and see if it completes properly next time. The wind lock is usually under the base plate but I'm not familiar with the XG-M so maybe not.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration